Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hi I have a question about ranking and leveling please answer if you can help.

I guess there's nothing beyond, uh, "beyond repute"?

I'm guessing the amount of rep you give when you rep someone is based on your own rep size?

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    Oh the irony

Won't be so happy if i were you.... look.
    Oh I don't know - its the ultimate way to feel all shiny

Quote Originally Posted by Corilliant View Post
    I guess there's nothing beyond, uh, "beyond repute"?

I'm guessing the amount of rep you give when you rep someone is based on your own rep size?
    You'd be correct on both those counts.

You can see what your own repping power is by going to your settings. The repping power is also affected by how many comments you make - so mine is slightly bigger than it should be because I do (as previously stated) talk a lot

If you go to Community/member and click the Rep tag, it will show the order of those with the most reps. Currently top 26

16,546 - J Edwards
    16,508 - Sapiento
    13,799 - Max
    12,122 - Ilanthar
    10,814 - Diamond

9679 - Snodsy
    9465 - GIS
    9254 - DanielHasenbos
    9025 - Abu
    8692 - Wired
    8669 - Mouse
    8601 - Thomas
    8546 - Tainotim
    8528 - Voolf

7533 - Francesca
    7429 - Boogie
    7333 - Francissimo
    7098 - Arsheesh
    6858 - Josiah VE
    6497 - Chick Pea

5859 - SteffenBrand
    5348 - Caenwyr
    4944 - Chashio
    4485 - Tonnichiwa
    4211 - Meshon
    4126 - Jo

Wow! I thought there were a lot more than that above me!

No surprises on the top 5, though

I think most of mine has been as a result of doing the Challenges - Lite and Main

Ahaha

Now that I think about that, though, I've had a vaguely interesting notion. From what you've said, regular contributors in the guild tend to hold more rep, and thus, have greater repping power. Over time, the repping power of your regulars would inflate.

So my question to you all would be, is rep worth as much as it was, say, five years ago? It takes roughly 2000 points to gain the highest rep rank. A good while back in the guild's younger years, the collective potential repping power of all active members was a lot lower, so gaining said rank would have taken a few years for most. But nowadays, the collective potential repping power of all active members is a heck of a lot higher, having grown over time. It's inflated. The highest rep rank is still the same, but is now attainable with far fewer "instalments" of rep than in the past.

Haha, did any of that make sense? I'm not saying the rep system needs tinkering with, because I don't want to sound ungrateful about earning rep (thanks for getting me to a full bar, guys <3). Just some food for thought, though.

Alright, cue the jokes about inflation and our wages.

Good insight Corilliant, although I do like the idea that more involvement means higher rep, but it's not a true indication of talent, skill or the like, but a combination of involvement and likable maps. No one would argue that Akae, Schley or Francesca would be higher based on talent, but it was nice for me to strive to get to a higher level. Just an FYI, my rep power is 100 (don't know what others are). But whatever just keep up the good work, friendly critiques and all the great conversations had here.

Mine is currently 92 (For 8669 It should be 87, but I think you get an extra point of repping power for every thousand comments you make).

I don't think there is a way of calculating or showing respective talent, since what one person loves another one might loathe. And where that is concerned, Snodsy, In my list of talented people you are up with Schley, Francesca and Akae

Corilliant, i would say, don't bother yourself with the rep. How much rep you have depends on how long you are here and how often you post maps. As snodsy said, it is not a true indication of talent. Rep is more for me a recognition for a person who does good, interesting maps for his/her current skill level. Some maps are not highly executed, but has other interesting things like idea, theme, etc. We all get inspired by different things, not only beautiful (literally) maps.

The rep system its fine by me, but i would not miss it if it was gone. People who stays here long enough knows what to expect from who, and we really don't need to rep to know that they create good stuff. Sometimes its impossible to rep because we have to "spread more rep" in order to rep again same person. Sometimes i got impression that people are going through threads spreading that rep for the sole purpose of spreadig the rep, LOL. The best part from the rep system is that the artist is happy to receive words of recognition. But this is also the same with simple commenting the finished (or WIP) map thread.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

I agree - comments are just as important as rep, and if you think about it receiving a really good critique is far more valuable than receiving rep, since the critique helps you to improve all the time, where rep is more like being given a nice box of chocolates for a job well done

(no wonder I've put on so much weight!)

We actually discussed the rep levels in the CL forum a while back and everyone agreed it was a little out of control and might be off-putting to new members. Having said that, anyone who takes an active part in the Guild will find their rep increasing fairly quickly. If you take part in challenges regularly, you'll quickly amass a decent amount of rep.

For new members, don't think of it as a grade on how good you are. Be an active community member and your total will soon increase to the point that you forget all about it.

Also, it is correct that the more rep you have, the more you can give. There's info in the FAQ here.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast