Thread: Tolkein-esque Mapping

Default Tolkein-esque Mapping

Hi Everybody!

I was wondering if anyone knows a program I could use for for Tolkein style mapping. I'm talking the regional maps that had Mordor, Mirkwood, and the Shire on them. Although, something that could make Thrain's map Gandalf gives to Thorin in the Hobbit, would be cool, too.

Thanks!

Kelly

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

Can you link to an example of the style you are talking about? There have been many different style of maps made for Mordor, Mirkwood, and the Shire.

Something like this:

Well, if you know how to draw the elements yourself then there is always Photoshop, Gimp, Krita, or Inkscape . If you are looking for pre drawn elements then there is Campaign Cartographer 3+ from a company called Profantasy. There is an overland vector style that is available with the main program that looks very similar to that. There are also some styles in the Cartographer's Annual that the Profantasy company produces. Here is a map I made using one of the annual styles.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Saint Antony.PNG 
Views:	133 
Size:	2.76 MB 
ID:	98099

Awesome! Thank you!

You're welcome. Glad I could help

Photoshop. Or GIMP. The first map I ever did was a try at recreating Tolkien style:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Empire911.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	3.29 MB 
ID:	99039

I took elements I liked from the Tolkien map, searched on this forum on how to do it and applied them. The assets for map elements can be found on deviantart or with google search. The result is not perfect but as you can see it is not hard. Good luck.