Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Maps of Beleriand

Map Beleriand update 2023 & Gondolin by Night

Hello Everyone, thank you so much for your kind words
    I am sorry I didn't notice your comments earlier!

Quote Originally Posted by Galendae View Post
    The 2nd one, the colored one, with the locations enhanced in the margins....AWESOME!
    Too few good maps of Beleriand exist
    Thank you There are more maps of Beleriand now. Some even follow I would say too close after mine - I know where I have changed things and those maps replicate it Nonetheless cool stuff. In revenge I added some missing mountain names to mine since those maps had even much more details than mine. I also changed some details, font and colors since then, here is a 2023 variant. There is also a wider varint, I still have to update those online.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Beleriand_2023_AB-Frame_1400.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	137419

Placement of some locations in Beleriand is challenging, as there were two maps made by Christopher Tolkien and as you pointed out Angband is not on either of them.
    AFAIK there is only one, the so called Second Silmarillion map by JRRT, redrawn and published in the HoME #5 by Christopher Tolkien:
    https://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/The_...rillion%27_Map
    And that is the one I used for reference. Karen Wynn Fonstad put Angband on her maps in The Atlas of ME, too, we might assume she had access to this old map, too, given the atlas is an official publication.

The pictures/close ups, in the margins, I noticed the Star of Feanor on all the locations associated with the Feanorians, nice touch. I can't make out the symbol for Finrod.
    I'm glad you noticed those details Yes, I gave the Feanorians their star, but I haven't given anything specific to Fonrod, it is just a decoration. And there are 3 doors to Nargothrond.

Sirielle, didn't you do a map of Gondolin City too? You should post that here, the detail was phenomenal.
    Thank you, I did. I was going to post it still a WiP in here, I cannot remember why I haven't. I'll try to post it in the next days, till then it is here:
    http://www.sirielle.com/maps2.html

I loved your depiction of Gar Ainion.
    Fantastic work!
    That is another tricky thing - it is not clear if Gair Ainion was a place, a building or a monument, so I did something in between - a place with figures, which who knows could be covered with a roof if the Elves wanted?

I should move on but I come back to this map every now and then, add more details or enlarge and refine figures for close ups. And I recently started making a night map of it. Blame Baldur's Gate with it's night location variants <3 Here is the Gar Anion part, still a WiP.

Name:	Sirielle_Valar.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	387.5 KB 
ID:	137418

Actually I would love to walk over it in Baldur's Gate, but that would require much more work. But who knows!

Wip town icons

I noticed I cannot edit my post, so here is an extra post with a touched up town icons, including Finrod's symbol Galendae asked about. I gave him as a symbol a variation on a star since all the original designs for the Noldor, including the Star of Fëanor visible in the LotR on the Doors of Durin (Moria), are variations on the Silmarils and their light. Still it is just a decoration not an emblem designed by JRRT (which in fact is weird compared to the rest of the Noldorin symbols, here they are).

Name:	B_icons_Fix_2023_1080w.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	569.7 KB 
ID:	137421

I'm loving these maps, some of the maps in the books are a bit lacking in detail and community maps like these help fill in the gaps. The effort that you've put into accuracy is also great to see.

In terms of not being able to edit your previous post, that was probably due to you being on limited privileges before you had made 5 posts, if you go back and try now you should be able to edit it.
    View my map and asset packs on CartographyAssets or DrivethruRPG. Support my work on Patreon. Take a look at my work on my Website or Instagram.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12