Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Earthsea Map

That is a really fantastic map but now that you told us about the gold and bronze ink, we want to see them ! Would it be possible to post a photography of the map ? I love the dragons !

Guild Journeyer Guild Supporter onez's Avatar

Beautiful as always.
    Bravissima!

Beautiful work, as always, Francesca!

I, too, am very curious about the gold and bronze ink.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FrancescaBaerald View Post
    Unfortunately I've found out too many times about my works illegaly sold on the internet so I decided to upload only low resolution versions of my maps. I know it's a shame but it's the only way to protect my work
    I thought we're the Guild of Cartographers, not the Guild of Thieves! But yes I can see your concerns esp when your work is so good.

Why yes, we are....

But sadly the Guild of Thieves has been known to walk among us from time to time.

There's a way of finding out if your maps are appearing anywhere else on the web. You can use a Google image search. Do this by searching for any old thing as an image, then click the little camera icon at the right end of the search bar and follow the instructions. It means you have to upload a copy of the map you are searching for, but it doesn't go anywhere. Google uses it to compare with millions of other online images to return a page of similar images for you to look at.

You'll probably find a lot of things have been pinned, but sometimes you find something else has happened to an image that you definitely aren't happy about, and really didn't know was happening.

EDIT: for example, I just searched for Thunder Falls by uploading it to a Google image search, and discovered (to my delight in this case, since I openly gave this map to the community by saying as much when I uploaded it to the Finished Maps forum) that it has already been tweeted once, and Pinned 8 times in the space of about a month.

What isn't so great, however, is if this happens to a map you only wanted to show for comments about suggested improvements, while intending to release to the public at a later date as part of a promo, or to sell it for profit (as I understand Francesca does - selling framed prints of her lovely work online)
    Last edited by Mouse; 08-11-2017 at 11:06 AM.

I think lo-res is the best solution to protect your work here, especially if it's high caliber stuff like Francesca's. Another way is to use a high compression jpg or do both. For showing off details one can do cropped closeups of certain elements etc.

It's sad but I think necessary for professionals to protect their work here, or indeed even hobbyist (depending on the work and their approach to it). Working for free shouldn't be a thing, but even worse than that is getting ripped off without knowing it.

You can always share the full image with your friends by creating a private album. Only your Guild friends and the CLs and Admin can see into a private album

I may have squeed over this on FB already, but I think it bears repeating: my all-time favorite fantasy world mapped by yoooooou!!! It's so beautiful and I love it!!!

... erm... I mean... *clears throat* I just wanted to inform you, that I do find your map very pleasing to look at, and also wanted to express my fondness towards the setting in question. Thank you, ma'am, and good day to you.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Thank you everybody for the Rep Points and your kind words and compliments!
    This started as an experiment so I'm very happy that you like the result

As soon as I get hold of a good camera I will take some pictures and try to capture the golden finish

Every now and then I search for my maps around the internet using Google image and it is always sad to find out that they are being sold without my permission or the permission of the people who have legally bought the rights.
    The best solution, as Falconius said, is to upload low resolution previews and eventually publish some close ups to show some details.
    I think that I'm going to do it this way from now on.

But enough with these sad things! I've been away from the Guild from a few days and I see that there's so much new awesomeness to discover!
    Up up and spread Reputation awaaay!!

I now want to read some Ursula le Guin books. Thank you for sharing this with us Francesca, it's magnificent as usual

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast