Thread: Hello

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Help Hello

Hey guys.

I'm Karlis. I'm an aspiring writer and cartographer in Brisbane, Australia.

I've been writing and developing my own fantasy series for a looooong time and because a world setting is essential to writing good fantasy, I decided to take up cartography as well. I've currently got about 20 A3 sheets, some filled, others with only coastlines, plastered across my study's wall, which every day I'll work a little bit on.

I joined up because while I'm fairly proficient in drawing quick mountain ranges, rivers, seas, oceans and coastlines, I need to develop my skillset to create beautiful, aesthetically pleasing maps that would look just as good at the front of a novel or hanging in a living room at home. I've got no idea how to draw 'good' forests (The old teardrop trees just don't cut it anymore) or grasses, dunes and other terrain, so I'm hoping I'll find those techniques somewhere here!

Anyway, thanks for reading, and hopefully I'll have a hand-drawn map that's a couple of meters wide to show you guys soon.

Thanks,

Karlis.

Hi Karlis, and welcome. Sounds like you've got an interesting project on your hands, and I'll look forward to seeing some of your maps. Best thing to do is start a work-in-progress thread (probably Regional/World mapping would be the best folder) and post what you've got so far and ask for feedback on the areas you'd like to work on. I'm sure you'll get some good advice.

If you need help finding your way around, just ask.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"