Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freyguard - City Map

Default Freyguard - City Map

This is a large port city from the area map I drew here:
    Last edited by mtcarpentersr; 12-20-2018 at 02:12 PM.

Clean and well done map. If I had a nitpick, I'd say I would like to see more secondary streets.

Thank you for taking time to look at my stuff and the kind words.

I agree about the streets. I've seen other maps where people let the building groupings define the roads, which I kinda like, and was my attempt with this on the smaller roads, but I don't think it was effective. I also don't like how the roads around the fountain look/function, but needed the map done for the game.

This is the first map I've ever drawn of a zoomed in city view like this, so I learned a ton doing it.

Guild Novice Guild Donor
    Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by mtcarpentersr View Post
    This is a large port city from the area map I drew here: https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=38848

Attachment 98529
    This is a nice map, did you create any more?

Quote Originally Posted by mtcarpentersr View Post
    I agree about the streets. I've seen other maps where people let the building groupings define the roads, which I kinda like, and was my attempt with this on the smaller roads, but I don't think it was effective. I also don't like how the roads around the fountain look/function, but needed the map done for the game.

This is the first map I've ever drawn of a zoomed in city view like this, so I learned a ton doing it.
    Hey, it's your first city map, and it's pretty good looking as well. *insert speech about perceived perfection here*

I wouldn't worry about any perceived flaws. Just remember what you learned and make your second attempt even better than the first
    "Hey, listen here. If you have thick enough cataracts, anything looks like a brick. So I'm right."

Laerun - Thank you. Yes, I did an area map here: https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=38848

I have another map floating around on here as well, but I'll have to dig it up.

Zenon - Thank you. As a designer I'm always asking myself "What could I have done better?", I think that's important for creative folks to do. But I agree; I think at some point you just have to call something finished and release it into the world, so to say.

My biggest problem is I do artwork all the time, but I don't feel like it's "finished" or good enough to show people. So I'm trying to break out of that a bit and post more stuff.

And I absolutely appreciate anyone taking the time to look at my stuff and commenting. Tutorials, thoughts, and critiques from folks here are great. I do a lot of lurking.

That's a lovely crisp and clear map

B/W maps are more difficult to get right, so I take my hat off to you for such a great job!

Great looking map !

Mouse - I can't tell you how much I appreciate your comments. My goal has been to try to channel the "feel" of the original LOTR map that Tolkien's son had drawn for him, but in my own style (it's a bit more evident in the realm map I posted). I have a copy at home that has all the production notes written all over it -- it's super low resolution, so I can't make out what the notes say, but it's my inspiration for what I'm doing.

ThomasR - Thank you. Everyone is so talented here -- your stuff is beautiful! Looking forward to improving more and more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast