Thread: First Map *WIP*

Wip First Map *WIP*

Hi everyone!

I've wanted to write a fantasy story for quite a while now and I decided I should start with a map and build the story around it so I started researching how to make nice maps and voila, I found the Cartographers' Guild. I instantly became entranced by all these beautiful maps and I really would like to start on my journey as a cartographer. However, I have never made any maps before and have no experience at all drawing, let alone using a computer programme to draw. A winning combination.

That's why I want to ask a couple questions about the very little progress I've made on my map and if you think I'm heading in the right direction so far (it will probably be hard to tell as I haven't done much yet). I'm working on GIMP.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	98542

Now, the first question I have is about the coastline. I think it's too smooth and looks sort of cartoony (not the effect I really want) but I'm not too sure so what do you think???
    And also the mountains, which I'm trying to add now but I'm really struggling. I've only added detail to the bottom ones for now but I also don't know?????? Should I continue with that style???? Does it look okay??? I'm just not very artsy so I don't know what looks good lol

Uuhhhhhhhh I suppose that's all for now.

Thanks!
    ~Percy
    Last edited by _Percy; 08-14-2017 at 07:31 PM.

Blog Entries

Its pretty good. There are some tutorials about making coastline more crinkly. Cant recall exactly what they were called tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Its pretty good. There are some tutorials about making coastline more crinkly. Cant recall exactly what they were called tho.
    Ah okay. I'll probably just start my map again anyway because that small curved bit of land in the bottom corner seems more appealing and unique (: Thanks anyway!

EDIT: Scratch that. I started all over again with a new design. I looked for a tutorial to make the crinkly coastlines and I found an excellent one by RobA so I followed that and I very happy with the coastline now. This is what I have to work with now.

Name:	Untitled2.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	243.9 KB 
ID:	98555
    Last edited by _Percy; 08-14-2017 at 07:34 PM.

Wip

I've added a basic background and done one mountain range and was wondering if I could get some critique :)

Views:	26 
Size:	3.22 MB 
ID:	98569

Thanks!
    Last edited by _Percy; 08-16-2017 at 07:05 AM.

Wip

Here is the latest. Done most of the mountains and now moving on to the hills.

Views:	30 
Size:	3.76 MB 
ID:	98661

Nice work man.

I've drawn my first map as well. Trying to display it up here as well, but since I'm a rookie member, I think I have to make some contributions first before I get those privileges.

Hi _Percy,

Welcome to the Guild! Nice map you've got there - and I think you're definitely starting to get the hang of coastline shapes.

My only criticism is that I think you need to consider how your mountains and your coastline interact. It's important to remember that the coastline is defined by the elevations. When the earth is pushed upwards around a mountain range, that will push the coastline outwards. As it stands, your mountain ranges look like an afterthought, when really they're often the thing which determines the shape of the land.

It can be very helpful to roughly sketch the contours of elevation, even if you're not explicitly showing them on your map. Look for areas where you're going from very high to very low suddenly (like when your mountain ranges plunge into the ocean). This sort of thing can happen, but it shouldn't be the norm, and it needs an explanation. This can also help a lot with river placement - rivers flow downhill, so you can use them to give a suggestion of topography without actually having to draw it in detail.