Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Göteborg, year 2296

Guild Journeyer Guild Supporter onez's Avatar

Map Göteborg, year 2296

This is the map I made earlier this year for dis/utopian YA novel "Vita Tigern" ('The White Tiger'), by Swedish author Christin Ljungqvist and published by Gilla Böcker.
    The main inspiration was Ludvig Simon's 1888 map of Göteborg.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VT_00_map.jpg 
Views:	682 
Size:	309.9 KB 
ID:	98647

Here is also a GIF of the process

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VT_00_map_process.gif 
Views:	253 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	98648

Oh, I love this! Although Göteborg is looking a little bit smaller than I remember...

I really like how you've preserved the colour and lightness of the 1888 map, but with a much more "story-book" feel. Is the GIF accurate - did you work in black and white up until the end of the process?

Quote Originally Posted by mewo2 View Post
    Oh, I love this! Although Göteborg is looking a little bit smaller than I remember...
    It's been a long time since I visited the city but it's also smaller than I remember too! This is a very cool map though.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

can't rep you now, but I'll come back later ! It's a really nice map with really beautiful symbols !

Quote Originally Posted by mewo2 View Post
    You are correct, it's much smaller than it actually is. According to the book, nature has reclaimed much of the city, which is now fenced.

Is the GIF accurate - did you work in black and white up until the end of the process?
    Yes, the client actually commissioned a black&white piece. I added colour afterwards for my portfolio.

I am no surprised... but that is just because i already looked through your potfolio like 50 times . I love your work. This map is also great.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

I can't rep you again, but this is great, Onez. Another proof (if needed) of your talent.

Feels like it has a real connection in our world i like that concept

Praise

Very nice map! I like the choice of colours. They combine with the overall aesthetics to communicate a balance of economy, clarity and beauty in he design and print, which - though I haven't read the book - seems to fit the theme particularly well. Being from Gothenburg myself, I enjoyed perusing the map, finding familiar landmarks and streets among the new. I like to see that the University hall is still there, as well as the Trädgårdsföreningen ("The garden society"), and replacing Nordstan with a park gets me undivided approval!

Quote Originally Posted by skymandr View Post
    Very nice map! I like the choice of colours. They combine with the overall aesthetics to communicate a balance of economy, clarity and beauty in he design and print, which - though I haven't read the book - seems to fit the theme particularly well. Being from Gothenburg myself, I enjoyed perusing the map, finding familiar landmarks and streets among the new. I like to see that the University hall is still there, as well as the Trädgårdsföreningen ("The garden society"), and replacing Nordstan with a park gets me undivided approval!
    Thank you skymandr! I'm glad you like it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast