Thread: "Aug / Sept '17 Lite Challenge: Tenuat "

Wip "Aug / Sept '17 Lite Challenge: Tenuat "

Hello.

Initial outline of my village map

When I map it properly, I will put more emphasis on the village and squash it into the mountain side more. I think I'll make my countours steeper so they don't take up so much of the map and then I can show a bit more of what I want on there, and just generally make it a bit more dramatic.

Tenuat is a pilgrimage village, which supports the temple...OF THE DEAD!!! Only joking. Its the temple of voices!!!... It leads to a great cave with openings in the mountain, when the wind blows through it it sounds like distant choirs, some say it's the sound of the ancestors, others say it's the sound of the river below speaking to them about the seasons, and some say it's just the nearby villagers you can hear. Many pilgrims bicker about this in the village bar.

I will need to represent this story in the map somehow! Maybe a little section of the temple at the bottom or something.

All advice welcome.

Ta.

### LATEST WIP ###Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Village 1.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	2.30 MB 
ID:	98726

I'm not sure, but it would be my supposition that rivers don't meander that much (ie enough to form elbow lakes) in such a depression. I'd think that rivers that form such strong cuts in the landscape are generally pretty swift and so would wear away at things as one imagines a swift flowing river would (ie in general being more inclined to head the direction its already headed and wearing away more strongly at things that stop it from doing so).

This looks like a pretty cool idea for a map, I'm looking forward to seeing you develop it.

Welcome to the Challenge Wolram, that map looks great already.

Hello,

Thanks Falconius, I hadn't considered river speed. I will try and find some real world examples for some research!
    Thanks Bogie.

Started sketching out the actual village now, contours are going to be a mission but it's quite theraputic...

It dawned on me that there should be a good reason they didn't build the village on the other side of the bridge, I think maybe making it into well irrigated farmland might be an idea, still keeping the temple.

### LATEST WIP ###Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tenuat2.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	98728

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

This is looking like a good space, with interesting things going on and options for moving around it. I love the idea of the natural "choir" singing out of the rocks.

I'm not sure how you are intending to render the cliffs, but a couple of places where higher contour lines overlap the lower ones might give some of the spaces a more precipitous feel.

Cheers,
    Meshon

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    I'm not sure, but it would be my supposition that rivers don't meander that much (ie enough to form elbow lakes) in such a depression. I'd think that rivers that form such strong cuts in the landscape are generally pretty swift and so would wear away at things as one imagines a swift flowing river would (ie in general being more inclined to head the direction its already headed and wearing away more strongly at things that stop it from doing so).
    Actually, it's pretty common to see meandering rivers in flat-bottomed mountain valleys. If the valley has been carved by the river itself, then the bottom will be quite narrow, but in temperate regions, most mountain valleys are of glacial origin. Glacial erosion leaves behind a lot of sediment and a fairly flat valley, which leads to meandering. You don't see very many oxbow lakes, but there's often meandering and braiding.

Here are some examples in North Wales (above Capel Curig, and in the Ogwen Valley):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-08-22 at 10.28.10.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	3.48 MB 
ID:	98733

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-08-22 at 10.45.31.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	2.93 MB 
ID:	98734

Quote Originally Posted by mewo2 View Post
    Actually, it's pretty common to see meandering rivers in flat-bottomed mountain valleys. If the valley has been carved by the river itself, then the bottom will be quite narrow, but in temperate regions, most mountain valleys are of glacial origin. Glacial erosion leaves behind a lot of sediment and a fairly flat valley, which leads to meandering. You don't see very many oxbow lakes, but there's often meandering and braiding.

Here are some examples in North Wales (above Capel Curig, and in the Ogwen Valley):

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-08-22 at 10.28.10.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	3.48 MB 
ID:	98733

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-08-22 at 10.45.31.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	2.93 MB 
ID:	98734
    You're right, but those are mountains formed by geological events like plate smashing. If you have a look at the Grand Canyon its topography is way different since it was formed by the cutting action of the river. It tends to be fairly straight forward and this tendency only grows the larger it gets down river (until I assume it starts evaporating away? Look at the end of the Colorado river it doesn't even look like it makes it to the ocean).

My assumption with this map might have been wrong, since I assumed it was a Gand Canyonesque valley rather than a normal valley. Probably because of the colours in the first pics. In which case please ignore my previous erroneous thoughts.

Learning a lot about rivers! In all honesty I hadn't yet fully considered the climate, and the history of how the gorge was formed. I'll have to find some images of what my intentions are and see how they formed.

Guild Apprentice

As a geologist i thought i might weigh in on the meander bends and point out that the river only becomes sinuous once it has reached the fields. If i were to interpret whats going on id say that there was a big fault running across the top of the map between the fields and canyon, uplifting the land to the south. In that case the meandering river and oxbow lakes are quite plausible, even in such close proximity to the canyon.

I just really like the colours in this one