Thread: Creating new biomes, drawing and describing them

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thanks.

Here is the little I, in my bedroom in university. Before going out and read some articles, I decided maybe thinking, for yes I do think. What thoughts had the little I that I am? <<Well, what kind of natural ressources would we find in such a biome as a fungus one...>>
    I knew very well that mushrooms are not trees, and therefore may not provide adequate building material. Of course, if we are in a mixed biome, that may easily be arranged. But what about a fungus dominant biome? Why would humans settle there? Humidity makes it the ideal climate for epidemics... Bugs... Mushrooms on the other hand can be used as spices, potions, magic ingredients, or chemical substance in a less magical world.

I would imagine lots of fern type plants growing. SO maybe some edible wild leaves.

Protein wise, no lack of insects. I would see bugs as one major source of protein in such areas.

As for metal... Mmmm.... Ah... How about just like those who used to sift in the streams in search of gold? Mushrooms could disturb the soil via their fungus network and maybe with other stuff cause some minerals to fall down from the mountain's galeries. But then again, sifting in the streams for iron sounds... Ah... Unlogical... WAY too long to gather enough to make a sword or a cooking pot.

With a little imagination, I could easily see lots of shade beneath the mushroom capes, thefore lots of plants needing shelter from the scorching sun.

I would see lots of amphibians, such as salamanders.

So... What would YOU people see in a fungus biome?
    We all wish to create, but do we really create?
    What we draw and what we write is part of us.
    No we do not create, we simply discover who we are.
    **My maps have copyrights**

Guild Member Guild Supporter

Actually, people have started using fungus as a building and insulation material. Folks get bags of substrate (things like sawdust, etc.) and let the 'root structure' of the fungus permeate it entirely. The resulting brick is very strong, can be grown into any shape, is very light, and excellent at insulating. I imagine you need to keep it quite dry, however, so it might require sealing with dried clay, or if you've got a lot of bugs, then shellac would likely work really well!

http://inhabitat.com/phillip-ross-mo...than-concrete/

Also, I say 'root structure' but the fiberous growth is actually the real fungus itself - the bits we see on the surface that look like traditional mushrooms are actually the fruiting bodies. Fungus can be a huge organism - your fungus biome could be one single organism that covers a whole forest-sized area of land if you wanted! Only the