Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: unexplored Lands

It's 33,37% of land. Earth is slightly over 29%.
    It's not 100% accurate since some area here and there are not selected because the file is a little blurry due to the use of a software to change the projection.

So this is a long post... or rather, one with 5 pics but not much else to say:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kacey_01.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	237.3 KB 
ID:	100602
    Your "madness map" over simplified... just the blobs and not much else.

Name:	kacey_02.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	233.3 KB 
ID:	100603
    The key idea.

Name:	kacey_03.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	312.6 KB 
ID:	100604
    Some million years afterwards..

Name:	kacey_04.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	317.4 KB 
ID:	100605
    Now it becomes to look like your landmasses...

Name:	kacey_05.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	250.8 KB 
ID:	100606
    Final thoughts... it explains quite well the central area of the map - I just couldn't reconcile "my" plate (7) with that sea you had in the same area. Other than that, I hope you like it.

I did this in a couple of hours today, it shows the kind of information you can have for topography. It was sloppy as everything was done with little consideration to how things warp as you move them around in an equiretangular projection. It's always much easier when you don't have a "target" coastline to fit things into.

And here's a better view of the oceans on a Robinson projection, it's a little easier to see areas that need fixing this way, and there are lots of areas that need fixing...
    I'm not sure what your problem with the North pole is. The black line is understandable.
    Is it because the island doesn't fit right?

Personally, I don't like Robinson that much. you could try another projection just to see how it looks.
    Maybe you should use the orthographic projection since it is like looking at the planet from space.
    Just saying because I don't see anything horribly wrong on the map, yet I know it's not my map...

For Pixie: I see a lot of island chains in the middle of the oceans.
    I skipped the discussion on tectonics, and I'm sorry if this as already been mentioned.
    There seems to be more chains than on Earth or they are just smaller maybe?
    Assuming there are more, does that mean anything from a geologic perspective? I'm thinking about shallower oceans.

Guild Expert

Wow Pixie! Thank you so much for taking the time to look this over in such detail. I can't argue anything you said because, well, I have no idea what I'm doing but it seems we're on the same track so I'll try my best to keep all this in mind when I go to work on it more tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by PaGaN View Post
    Ooooooh, pretty! You're going to have so many places to explore here Kacey. I love it.

What's wrong with the oceans? They look fine, better then fine. She with the poles. One thing about the North Pole would be that, given the small sea area, I would suspect that the whole thing would be covered by ice cap (unless your overall planetary climate is warmer than earth today).
    Thanks PaGaN! I appreciate the kind words. As for the oceans there's nothing terribly wrong with them, more nit picky stuff and just the sloppiness of the coast in general, I'm antsy to get all the details worked out and finally clean it up and make it look pretty that's all, and yes I imagine there will be lots of ice up there, but I'll leave that out until I get on to the climate phase....which scares me little.

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    It's 33,37% of land. Earth is slightly over 29%.
    It's not 100% accurate since some area here and there are not selected because the file is a little blurry due to the use of a software to change the projection.
    Thanks for doing that Azelor it's interesting to see the results...I imagine a good chunk of that extra land is coming from the south pole which is much larger then that of earth.

I'm not sure what your problem with the North pole is. The black line is understandable.
    Is it because the island doesn't fit right?

Personally, I don't like Robinson that much. you could try another projection just to see how it looks.
    Maybe you should use the orthographic projection since it is like looking at the planet from space.
    Just saying because I don't see anything horribly wrong on the map, yet I know it's not my map...

For Pixie: I see a lot of island chains in the middle of the oceans.
    I skipped the discussion on tectonics, and I'm sorry if this as already been mentioned.
    Assuming there are more, does that mean anything from a geologic perspective? I'm thinking about shallower oceans.
    The problem with the north pole is more or less aesthetic, there's just something that bugs me about it that I can't quite put my finger on and yes the split in the one island is bugging me it's just not fitting quite right...Really I'm just being picky is all.

I jump between different projections all the time and a 3D globe I just really like the look of the Robinson projection, it's actually one of my favorites. I always enjoy maps in this projection so I imagine its just personal taste. I know there are better options for distortion but I just can't stand looking at them to be honest... The main map will always be equirectangular.

I know the question was for Pixie but I'm adding allot of islands on purpose for no other reason then I like how they look. As much as I'd like a hyper realistic world I'm not opposed to having impossible things just for the fun of it, but if you guys can come up with a reason for it then I'm all ears... Actually when comparing my map to earth allot of these islands should be nothing more then a spec, but I've exaggerated them quite a bit just for fun though I wonder could there be more islands because of an ice age? From what I understand the extra ice at the poles could cause global water levels to be much lower, though I would have no idea how to work out that type of climate and I'm not sure you and pixies guides go over that.

It could be an ice age or just that there is less water on the planet.

Hey Kacey, don't be scared by the climate, hopefully I'll be by your side going through it also. It's actually the bit I'm really looking forward to. You can kind of think of it as the world really revealing itself to you. How cool is it that, with the tools at it disposal and all the amazing people willing to help, we get to discover what our worlds could actually look like? It's actually kind of amazing and awesome
    THERE IS ALWAYS MORE THAN ONE RIGHT ANSWER!

Like kacey already wrote. It's to her liking. In the final version, islands are always kind of easy to justify because there are several "origins" for islands, not necessarily from subduction arcs. But when the artist draws them as clear arcs that's when **** hits the ***.

Quote Originally Posted by PaGaN View Post
    Hey Kacey, don't be scared by the climate,
    Compared to tectonics, climate is a different kind of cake. Tectonics is 90% inspiration, 10% sweat and you stall when inspiration isn't around. Climate is a lot of sweat, but almost no inspiration required (pun recognized... but not intended).
    Last edited by Pixie; 10-29-2017 at 11:01 AM.

Guild Expert

Hey Pixie... In regards to you're comment about high lands due to rifting... Will there be high lands on both sides of the separated land masses or just one? And how far inland should the highlands be? And will there be cliffs on the edges of the highlands against the water like eastern Canada and Scotland? Also what if this causes trapped water between other mountains will there be lots of lakes then? Because I'm getting some areas with trapped water, will this water just keep filling or will it go underground to escape?

I know I have more questions but I'll wait till I have an updated map...I can't wait to be done this part I'm growing really tired of it and running low on inspiration so not needing any for the climate stage will be a welcome change... My brain hurts. I'm excited for the stages that become more automated when the world begins to reveal itself to me instead of having to force it into existence.

Guild Expert

Just trying to get a very basic understanding of where mountains might be... Sorry for the mess I know it's not pretty. I hope to get the coast tidied up a bit tomorrow when I have more time. I won't "actually" work on the topography until I know I'm understanding what's supposed to be going on because I know it's going to take an ungodly amount of time to complete so I'm hoping I can get some feedback on weather or not I even have this even a little correct or if I'm completely off the mark... I'm finding this all very confusing, and I'm feeling very stuck in the planning stages where things just look really, really ugly.

Name:	height idea.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	2.21 MB 
ID:	100686

I had a lovely big post about different kind of leftovers from continental rifting, with examples and intelligent links to nice looking maps. All gone in weird "page refresh"...

Oh well, here's the short version of the post:
    - have a look at Simien Mountains in Ethiopia and Yemen topography across the Red Sea, for an example of highlands alongside rifting.
    - see namibian/angolan coastal topography for a different example of an older rifted area and the east africa rift from burundi to malawi for a much more recent (early stages) rifting
    - southern Brazil coast is yet a different example, but more complex
    - and the Bay of Biscay west of France the flattest of examples, no highlands at all here
    - finally, a video on youtube by a guy called Hassan Geologist or something like that.

Also, you may not like your working map, but I think it is very promising! Very very promising..

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast