Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: unexplored Lands

Guild Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie View Post
    I had a lovely big post about different kind of leftovers from continental rifting, with examples and intelligent links to nice looking maps. All gone in weird "page refresh"...

Oh well, here's the short version of the post:
    - have a look at Simien Mountains in Ethiopia and Yemen topography across the Red Sea, for an example of highlands alongside rifting.
    - see namibian/angolan coastal topography for a different example of an older rifted area and the east africa rift from burundi to malawi for a much more recent (early stages) rifting
    - southern Brazil coast is yet a different example, but more complex
    - and the Bay of Biscay west of France the flattest of examples, no highlands at all here
    - finally, a video on youtube by a guy called Hassan Geologist or something like that.

Also, you may not like your working map, but I think it is very promising! Very very promising..
    Thanks Pixie I really appreciate all the thought you're putting in to helping me it really does help even if you lost a whole post, just knowing what places to look for has already changed some ideas I had, I just have a hard time finding topographic reference images in a decent resolution. I've lost posts like that before, actually I loose them all the time, it seems almost like there's a time limit and I've noticed that if I press the preview button every couple of lines that it doesn't happen so I've gotten into a habit of doing that...It's a real pain in the a**.

I found some interesting videos today on you tube looking for that guy Hassan the Geologist and learned some things I didn't know about so now I'm on a mission to find some high resolution references of the topography around a transform fault. Silly me I just assumed there would be regular mountains there but now I know better so thank you. There's just so many things I wouldn't even have thought to look into.

Guild Expert

I'm thinking I'll take a little break from this project... I'm really struggling with topography and the style I was going for just isn't working out for me so I need to step back and rethink we're it's going from here. I was hoping to do a topographic atlas style but It turns out that I really badly suck at it so I may end up going with a more hand drawn style but I'm not sure if that will work for a world map.. Hopefully a little break will help me figure out what to do.

Hey Kacey.

I understand, trust me! But please come back to this project.

IF it helps, what i was going to do with Aerlaan was only figure out enough of the topography/elevation to be able to work through pixie and azelor's climate guides. It has been my full intention all along to do the actual render of the world map in a hand drawn style (with my biggest question being do i go top down or isometric?).

Given your already demonstrated skill i think it would be marvelous to see the Unexplored Land rendered in whatever way you see as fit.

PaGaN
    THERE IS ALWAYS MORE THAN ONE RIGHT ANSWER!

Hey kacey,

Just a quick response to say this : hand drawn can totally work for a world map! We have lots of examples on the guild. And all i can do, mapwise, is hand drawn...and i did do world maps
    So what am i saying? I'd totally dig you doing this in hand drawn style.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Hand drawn can totally work for world maps if that's the route you want to go. And it's ok to do entirely random experiments that don't matter if you mess everything up in order to work out style possibilities for the piece that does matter. That's what I try to remind myself to do when I get stuck on how to proceed. Good luck, kacey! You're doing amazing things.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Yay for hand drawn!

Kacey, take all the breaks you like, nobody is behind you with deadlines. But please, don't delete any of the wonderful (and I mean this!) stuff you already made. I'm just making up metrics now, but I reckon that for every 1 Mb of lovely maps, there's maybe 100 Mb of drafts, notes and half-baked versions.

Guild Expert

Quote Originally Posted by PaGaN View Post
    Hey Kacey.

I understand, trust me! But please come back to this project.

IF it helps, what i was going to do with Aerlaan was only figure out enough of the topography/elevation to be able to work through pixie and azelor's climate guides. It has been my full intention all along to do the actual render of the world map in a hand drawn style (with my biggest question being do i go top down or isometric?).

Given your already demonstrated skill i think it would be marvelous to see the Unexplored Land rendered in whatever way you see as fit.

PaGaN
    Thanks PaGaN and don't worry I haven't given up, I'm still plugin away in the background, mostly doing unsuccessful style tests but still going non the less, though I did step away from it yesterday to draw robots... I'm looking for an excuse to render some metal in keyshot and I have to say I'm quite pleased with the result of my concepts and I got some inspiration for my world by doing it because it prompted me to sketch out some artifacts that might be found here as well which I'm going to sculpt in zbrush... eventually.

And I would love to see you do some hand drawn mountains, I really liked what you did with you're solar moon map thing so if the map follows suite it will be really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    Hey kacey,

Just a quick response to say this : hand drawn can totally work for a world map! We have lots of examples on the guild. And all i can do, mapwise, is hand drawn...and i did do world maps
    So what am i saying? I'd totally dig you doing this in hand drawn style.
    Thanks Eilathen I was glad to see you stopped by my thread, I would love to see some of those maps you're talking about I'm still waiting for the day when you start showing us you're work.

Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    Hand drawn can totally work for world maps if that's the route you want to go. And it's ok to do entirely random experiments that don't matter if you mess everything up in order to work out style possibilities for the piece that does matter. That's what I try to remind myself to do when I get stuck on how to proceed. Good luck, kacey! You're doing amazing things.
    Thanks Chashio, I always think of you when I need to stop being so picky and just sit down and sketch something out and this post reminded me of that so I took it to heart and did a whole bunch of scribbling yesterday which was really fun so thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie View Post
    Yay for hand drawn!

Kacey, take all the breaks you like, nobody is behind you with deadlines. But please, don't delete any of the wonderful (and I mean this!) stuff you already made. I'm just making up metrics now, but I reckon that for every 1 Mb of lovely maps, there's maybe 100 Mb of drafts, notes and half-baked versions.
    I imagine there's more then 100mb of half baked versions of this map on my computer I already deleted about 20 of them because they were taking up too much space but managed to keep several versions just in case.

Guild Expert

So this is just one of the style tests that I've been working on lately, the rest are just too awful to show. Hand drawn isometric still isn't out of the question but I thought I'd try hand drawn relief first, though I'm really not all that impressed with the results so far ...I'm still on the fence. This is just a small section and if I decide to go this route I'll definitely start from scratch and do a better job it... You can consider this a sketch, just testing a new technique and I think I have some ideas on how to improve it and make it work, but until then this is just one of those half baked ideas that may or may not see the light of day again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	style test.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	6.56 MB 
ID:	100915

I like that.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    so I may end up going with a more hand drawn style but I'm not sure if that will work for a world map.. Hopefully a little break will help me figure out what to do.
    It will work Kacey, it will just be a lot of work. And i know you can draw beautiful mountains already . Hope to see you back with this project after a break.
    Last edited by Voolf; 11-07-2017 at 06:19 PM.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast