Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: unexplored Lands

If you're comfortable with command-line software and Linux or Cygwin under Windows, there's also Matthew's Map Projection Software. See http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~arcus/mmps/
    Selden

Guild Expert

Quote Originally Posted by johnvanvliet View Post
    gimp has had a built in tool for at least the last 17 years , if not 20
    under distorts " polar coordinates "

you can remap to the north or south pole
    fix it
    remap back to simple cylindrical

crop the south and rescale to a square

south pole fixed using "resysenthizer " inpainting tool ( or you can just redraw it )

remap back with the built in tool

resize back to the original size
    Gimp doesn't work very well on my tablet because of scaling and it not being very touch freindly, so I went poking around in all the tabs in PhotoShop to see if it had something similar... and it does! So this is very helpful...Thank you, the polar coordinates filter in PhotoShop seems to work in the exact same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    I believe there is a tool/app still floating around here somewhere... it's called ReprojectImage. I asked about being able to do a similar function because I like to sketch worlds in azimuthal, etc. and was directed that way. But it's not for huge images or final renders... you'd have to redraw from the example, and there may be easier options, like what john shows.

https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...l=1#post197147
    Thanks Chashio, this is the type of thing that I need but after following the links I came up with a dead page I wonder if it's even still available.

Quote Originally Posted by selden View Post
    If you're comfortable with command-line software and Linux or Cygwin under Windows, there's also Matthew's Map Projection Software. See http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~arcus/mmps/
    I'm really not comfortable using command line software. I've tried to understand it but when I look at these pages my mind goes completely blank blank...I just don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    Thanks Chashio, this is the type of thing that I need but after following the links I came up with a dead page I wonder if it's even still available.
    http://www.fracterra.com/ReprojectImage.zip should work. I updated the old link.

Guild Expert

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    http://www.fracterra.com/ReprojectImage.zip should work. I updated the old link.
    Thank you so much waldronate, but theres a problem with the file, every time I try to download it windows sais it contains a virus and blocks it. I'm pretty confident that you wouldn't send me a virus so what's going on? Is there a way around this...

Blog Entries

every time I try to download it windows sais it contains a virus and blocks it. I'm pretty confident that you wouldn't send me a virus so what's going on? Is there a way around this...
    that sounds like the NEW Microsoft NORMAL behavior

Windows Explorer now has a VIRUS WARNING from anything that is NOT in the Microsoft store of from a Microsoft site

they REALLY WANT YOU TO BUY $$$$$ from the MS windows store

that link and software is SAFE

basically Microsoft is just yelling
    " the sky is falling , the sky is falling"
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    Thank you so much waldronate, but theres a problem with the file, every time I try to download it windows sais it contains a virus and blocks it. I'm pretty confident that you wouldn't send me a virus so what's going on? Is there a way around this...
    I don't get that warning on my system. I do get a "potentially unsafe file type of .msi" when I open the zip, though. What version of Windows are you running?

Guild Expert

I'm running windows 10... I've had issues before, but usually you get a window pop up that asks if you trust that the download is from a safe source, and then it's a proceed at you're own risk sort of thing. This time it's different, it's not letting me download it at all, windows is convinced that it contains a virus and isn't allowing me to make the decision on weather I should trust the source or not... hmm this is very annoying.

Blog Entries

if win10 is doing a basic "whois" this might explain it

NOTICE: The expiration date displayed in this record is the date the
    registrar's sponsorship of the domain name registration in the registry is
    currently set to expire. This date does not necessarily reflect the expiration
    date of the domain name registrant's agreement with the sponsoring
    registrar. Users may consult the sponsoring registrar's Whois database to
    view the registrar's reported date of expiration for this registration.

or it dose not like "iplocal"
    Code:
     ip-143-95-226-87.iplocal (143.95.226.87)  55.092 ms  53.465 ms  54.833 ms
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

The expiration date for the domain is 04-apr-2022, so I hope that's not it. None of my machines here are showing that sort of problem, even the basic Win10 installation with nothing else on it.

http://www.fracterra.com/ReprojectImage32.msi is just the raw installer without being in a zip file. On my machine, Windows is showing a "file is corrupt or invalid signature" message for this file when I download it in Edge. I was able to click the "View Downloads" button and access the file that way, however. The signature issue is a weird one, because it was recently compiled with Visual Studio 2013. Maybe I should recompile with VS2015 and see if that resolves things. Not today, though.

Guild Expert

I finally got it to work with Chashio's help and it seems to be running fine... Now I just have to figure out how it works, though from a quick first glance it looks pretty straight forward.

Thanks Waldronate, maybe I'll get this coast done after all.

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast