Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: unexplored Lands

Guild Expert

I thought I'd post an update on the state of this world since I've made some major changes in the layout because I wanted it to be a little more "Earth Like". So far this is still in the sketching phase but I think it's starting to improve a bit. I started detailing that center sea area on the eastern continent just because I got excited about it, but the rest is still just blobs that need to be refined. The poles are working out much better now, that piece on the bottom was just causing me too much grief so I removed it completely, I'll work out the south pole later... Right now I have about 20 different versions of this map cluttering up my computer just from trying to sort out the poles, and how things were appearing in the other projections that I plan on using.

I still have allot of time to put in before I'm happy with the coast, but I really want to get it right because I know the next stages of figuring out the plates and the topography are going to be really time consuming so I'd like a solid base to start.

I'd love to here some thoughts on the shapes of the land masses in general, do you guy's think I'll be able to sort out some reasonably plausible plate tectonics with this layout? Will I be able to generate some realistic earth like climates? And do you think I'll be able to get some interesting regional maps and cultures out of it? I know there's still a ton of work to be done before I get to those points I just don't want to waste any more time on this coast.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coastwork.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	1.62 MB 
ID:	99654

intersting set of continents !! Especially when watching the thumbnail. I just can recommend to focuss hardly an the edges and the coastlines because all of us are tending to sharp peeks and kind of swirly coastlines. Keep on with this good job !!

Guild Expert

Thanks randigpanzrall! I appreciate the feedback and I feel a little better now about refining those western continents.

Wow! I haven't visited this thread for a while for some reason, but this is coming on quite spectacularly.

Now I'm really looking forward to the development, and particularly to the regional maps

No Problem kathy, I think you matched a very good and extremely promising set and composition of landmasses. I marked the areas, which I meant (to give you a better iedea):

Name:	test 2.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	451.5 KB 
ID:	99677

Maybe it´s a good idea to temporarely copy existing maps of let´s say Asia into your set in a similar map-scale in order to compare, inspire but even to modify if neccessary. One thing, most of us (and even I do so, believe me) are working on a continent but acting in a scale world of a regional map

But to say it again, these are just tips in order to strenghten a top an well composed map and because I see a great start of a great map here

To give an example:

Here´s the contnent with less grade of detailization:

Name:	test 4.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	494.9 KB 
ID:	99678

and going closer it´s neccessary to become more detailed:

Name:	test 5.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	99679

so don´t be afraid to allow your landmasses less details (first)

f.e. look at Australias southern coast, there is nearly no sharp panhandle to see at the continent first, and even, if you get closer, it stays smooth for many miles and miles

You don't have to change the landscape, I'm just trying to find comparisons.
    There is only one area I could not really find the equivalent.
    I'm aware that it is a very simplistic view and that Western America doesn't exist.
    Also, mountains play a big role on the climates, so I could be completely wrong.

Name:	coastwork copie.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	2.21 MB 
ID:	99684

Guild Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Wow! I haven't visited this thread for a while for some reason, but this is coming on quite spectacularly.

Now I'm really looking forward to the development, and particularly to the regional maps
    Thanks Mouse, I'm looking forward to doing some regional maps, I already have a few areas I'm excited to do, but I've had to stop myself from getting too far ahead, I'm really hoping to see this one through.

Quote Originally Posted by randigpanzrall View Post
    No Problem kathy, I think you matched a very good and extremely promising set and composition of landmasses. I marked the areas, which I meant (to give you a better iedea):

Name:	test 2.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	451.5 KB 
ID:	99677

Maybe it´s a good idea to temporarely copy existing maps of let´s say Asia into your set in a similar map-scale in order to compare, inspire but even to modify if neccessary. One thing, most of us (and even I do so, believe me) are working on a continent but acting in a scale world of a regional map

But to say it again, these are just tips in order to strenghten a top an well composed map and because I see a great start of a great map here
    Thanks for the detailed examples randigpanzrall this is actually something I've been struggling with, I've never done a whole world map before so doing regional coasts is definitely more comfortable for me, the scale of things is definitely throwing me off. I'm trying to make a more realistic earth like coast but I will admit that I really enjoy those maps with allot of jagged pointy bits, and swirling coasts. I hope in the end I can find some type of compromise between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    You don't have to change the landscape, I'm just trying to find comparisons.
    There is only one area I could not really find the equivalent.
    I'm aware that it is a very simplistic view and that Western America doesn't exist.
    Also, mountains play a big role on the climates, so I could be completely wrong.

Name:	coastwork copie.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	2.21 MB 
ID:	99684
    Thanks Azelor You're pretty spot on in you're comparison, my fiancé said the same thing yesterday and I wondered if it would be too close to earths layout. At first the Africa type continent and the Greenland type continent were a coincidence they were just a reshuffling of the previous versions of the map, but placing the western continents aside from the "western America" continent which was there before the re shuffling was definitely intentional.

I do want an earth like planet, but do you think this is too close to the same layout? Is it different enough?

I'm thinking that the Africa type continent will be different than earths climate though because it doesn't go up as high so I'm not sure there will be a giant desert at the top and I don't think I've managed to create an area yet that will be like the Mediterranean climate, but I do hope to include one. I've actually been planning on following some of you're and pixie's guides for figuring this out so any advice coming from you is deeply appreciated you're kind of a rock star when it comes to climate so I'm honoured that you stopped by my thread.

Hey Kacey

THis looks really interesting and i love the detailing of the coast around the inner sea.

If you wanted to get away from the initial "earth analog" when you first look at the map have you thought about centering your map on your "Pacific" instead of your "Atlantic"? Just a thought. It may shake things up enough for you to get past the analog.

Following this thread Fo'sho

PaGaN
    THERE IS ALWAYS MORE THAN ONE RIGHT ANSWER!

I do want an earth like planet, but do you think this is too close to the same layout? Is it different enough?
    I don't think it is that much of a big problem. Most people might not notice.

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast