Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: unexplored Lands

Guild Expert

Thanks guy's, I have tried centering the land masses on the other ocean but it just doesn't have the same flow and would take some shuffling if I were to go that route because it puts the major land masses pretty close to the edges of the map so I think I'll keep this layout. Hopefully I get some time this week to work on refining the western continents, I think they'll probably change a bit when I do that and there are some areas at the top right of the eastern most continent that I think I'll be changing too because they've been bugging me a bit. Hopefully I can muster up the patients to get through this part I'm pretty antsy to get started on the topography.

It´s funny, well? Sets who are composed similar to our worls setting seem familar and friendly to us and americans (including Canadians of cause) prefer a pacific setting, while europeans prefer an atlantic setting... must be a kind of habituation....maybe foreigners from another galaxy would hate the shape of Europe, while we love it (more or less)

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    Hopefully I can muster up the patients to get through this part I'm pretty antsy to get started on the topography.
    Wherever you go with this it's going to be stunning at the finish line. I ADORE your Verenthia map.
    THERE IS ALWAYS MORE THAN ONE RIGHT ANSWER!

Guild Expert

Quote Originally Posted by PaGaN View Post
    Wherever you go with this it's going to be stunning at the finish line. I ADORE your Verenthia map.
    Thanks PaGaN that was the first map I ever completed.

Guild Expert

Can anyone recommend a text editor for creating rotation files in G.Plates? I don't know anything about any type of command lines or text based files so I'm totally lost. I tried using notepad on windows but G.Plates can't read the file... I feel stupid asking, but I need help, I really don't even know what a text based editor is or does. I'm sort of understanding how to make the rotation file I just don't know where to type the data into... I've never done so much reading in one day and felt so stupid at the end of it.

Guild Expert

Never mind I figured it out... well my fiancé figured it out, he told me to just download notepad++ and it worked!!! I'm really excited now because I actually learned something I thought I was incapable of learning, and I was able to create several continents, move them back in time to a super continent and save the movements into a rotation file and create a shapefile which I can open in qgis.

I don't have anything to show for it though because I was just using random shapes that have nothing to do with this map to test things out from the tutorial I've been following... but it worked! And I'm really excited about it... Now I just have to figure out how to get my map from PhotoShop into g plates so I can trace around the continents and start working on the actual map. I'm going to finish going through the tutorial first though, my little brain can't handle much more tonight. I'm going to download qgis tommorow and do the second part of the tutorial on my random shapes before trying this on the actual map... Wish me luck.

Edit... Just in case anyone else is having trouble with G.Plates here's a link to the tutorial I've been following

https://astrographer.wordpress.com/2...ates-and-qgis/

Hey Kacey. Sorry, didn't see your earlier Post (actually slept last night... WOOHOO!).

I didn't do any mapping last night so no GPlates but was intending to use Macs generic text editor.

Thanks fur that link to the tut. It seems to cover more material than the other two Charerg linked to. Checking that out today for sure.

Guild Expert

No worries PaGaN I was able to figure it out on my own with validation that I'd done things correctly by charerg over on you're thread. There's a definite advantage to learning this along side someone else at pretty near the same stage in that almost every question I need answered has already been asked by you. Like today I was going to ask how to clip the continent polygons to my original raster so they would move together, and like clockwork you had asked just before I came looking for answers, as a result I saved huge time today not waiting for Responses and was able to get the original image clipped and start moving things around, which was really neat to see btw. I'm already starting to see better where things might need to be changed, and how to better position the topography when I get to that point though I'm almost thinking about starting again from scratch with a super continent just to make things easier.

Yep, sounds like we are in EXACTLY the same space...lol.

I am currently working up rough supercontinent land form for import into GPlates which I will 'break up'. Pretty much at this point I know that Aerlaan is going to have no resemblance to what I started with which I'm cool with. It's really like discovering an alien world

Also, I'm not rushing this stage. The amount of information that pixie and Charerg have shared with the guild is staggering, before I read that other thread yesterday I had never even heard of "slab pull"...LMAO

it's all good!

PaGaN

Quote Originally Posted by PaGaN View Post
    I had never even heard of "slab pull"...LMAO
    I hadn't either when I created the tectonics for my world, and I regret it so much

Still, ignorance may be a blessing, settling for less and all that..

Keep at it, guys and gals, we're watching and cheering for you.

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast