Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: unexplored Lands

Guild Expert

Thanks Chashio!

Looking good Kacey!

Re: showing the subduction zones etc...I don't know how and where but GPlates has the facility to cover this off for you. Maybe another WAY more learned in the ways of GPlates can chime in? (Pixie, Charerg?)
    THERE IS ALWAYS MORE THAN ONE RIGHT ANSWER!

Quote Originally Posted by PaGaN View Post
    Looking good Kacey!

Re: showing the subduction zones etc...I don't know how and where but GPlates has the facility to cover this off for you. Maybe another WAY more learned in the ways of GPlates can chime in? (Pixie, Charerg?)
    As far as I know, there's no way to show subduction zones in GPlates except manually drawing them as a feature (and at that point, you're probably better off using an image editing program anyway). It's not a simulator, so it doesn't really model any tectonic forces per se, only the movements of the plates.
    Last edited by Charerg; 10-11-2017 at 05:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    I guess I'll be spending my free time today figuring out how you make those perfectly zig zag'd lines to represent the movements...
    Please don't spend your free time like that.. and I can't even remember which zig zag lines you are thinking of.

Just add an ugly thick and blurry line on top of that work-in-progress-map-with-the-numbers, in any color. Scribbles and ugly drafts are the way to go - didn't you hear fantasy mappers are terrible in actual cartography

Guild Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie View Post
    Scribbles and ugly drafts are the way to go - didn't you hear fantasy mappers are terrible in actual cartography
    Then I shouldn't feel too bad about this then... Don't say I didn't warn you, I can hardly understand what it means and I wasn't going to show it, most of this has changed in my mind already and needs to be re done but this is the beginning of some brain storming I was doing on the plate movement at 150ma. I'm actually thinking about using this layout for the map, I sort of like the continents sitting where they are now... I'll redo the plates in g.plates and continue the breakup once I get a bit of a more refined coast line, this is really still in the planning stages. I wish I had more time to make up a more polished version for you guys to mull over but I spend my days chasing around two very small children and right now my main concern is trying to save my house from complete devastation... It's like a tornado goes through my house every five minutes so I don't get allot of time to actually sit down and work on this, I'm lucky if I get 20 minutes at nap time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plate planning.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	2.12 MB 
ID:	100047

And here is the northern land mass pulled down into the middle of the projection, I'm doing the coast this way and dragging it back up to avoid some distortion issues, it's far from polished but it's enough detail to keep me going for now, but I'm having an issue with g.plates now where for some reason when I clip the raster to the plate polygons it disappears... Any one else have this problem??? It wasn't doing that before, I could clip the raster and move it around just fine, now for some reason as soon as I add the connection my raster disappears completely... Am I missing something? Maybe I accidentally changed some setting, but I'm really frustrated and can't get it to work right now... Any ideas as to why it's doing this?

Name:	norther conts 150ma flat.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	859.2 KB 
ID:	100048

NICE! The young rift zones bewteen the major masses look pretty believable. I personally always seem to find it hard to figure out what is supposed to be happening in the mid oceans "before we get there" if you know what i mean. i know that there will be rifts, likely old and in the process of being subducted on one side or another but the oceanic area on a world with a supercontinent is HUGE so that would be one bloody big oceanic ridge system.

I like charerg's approach which, to paraphrase very loosely, was to assume that something was going on but not to worry too much about it so long as you figured out what was happening from when you start moving stuff around...LOL

Also, Kacey, i LOVE your coastlines. That northern landmass looks LOVELY. I must get some pointers from you later.

PaGaN

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Blaidd Drwg's Avatar

Awesome! I love how much thought you're putting into this.

Guild Expert

Thanks guy's!

PaGaN, I struggle to figure out the "before we get there" stage too. I imagine those giant ocean plates would be subducting under the edges of the supercontinent and in a sense pulling the pieces out towards it causing the break up, I may be wrong about how it works but for now that's my thought process when it comes to getting things moving.

Hey Kacey.
    As ever, we seem to thinking along exactly the same lines.

Guild Expert

Just a quick update... Trying to get a simplified coast nailed down is proving really difficult. I still seem stuck in the regional state of mind so some of the features may seem a little on the big side and there may be things that are impossible... But it is fantasy after all so I'm giving myself some leeway.

I still have allot of work to do on the coast it's a little unbalanced right now... I will be adding a south pole and an Australia type continent with some islands, I even tried to make something a little like Japan but I think I may remove it, I might have gone a little too far. I'm still looking for something earth like or even just slightly different then earth because for a first world map I really need some type of reference point. maybe I'll do something a little more alien for the next one.

I'm trying not to add too much detail, I just need enough to get me through the topography and then I'll refine the coast with changes after that or I might even wait till I'm doing regional sections I don't know.

Things are still pretty sloppy and I'm taking a break from trying to make a full tectonics model for now... There comes a time when you find yourself awake at 3am to work on a map, but still haven't given yourself enough time to have a shower before you have to walk out the door that it just has to stop. I had a dream the other day that the ground started to move and the sun fell from the sky and in the dream every one else was freaking out but I sat there wondering why the plates were moving so fast... Forget the neuro trauma center, they'll be moving me to the psych ward if I don't start working on something different.

Name:	The Whole Damn World.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	2.00 MB 
ID:	100232

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast