Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Flat Earth

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Adept Facebook Connected Daelin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Straf View Post
    I used to believe in free speech and that but I've realised that there's a line to be drawn.
    Exactly. Free speech is a right and should continue to be. Anyone should be allowed to think and say whatever, regardless of the imbecility of their words and ideas (barring threats of violence, name-calling and the like, of course). If someone wants to promulgate or have "genuine" discussions on retarded theories, like Earth being flat, there's a place for that - like wearing a sandwich sign on your local street corner. This forum, the Cartographer's Guild, though, is not such a place. This forum is not the Youtube comment section. This forum is for the appreciation of map-making - cartography; digital or analog, fantastical or realistic, and all aspects related to it. We can't (and shouldn't) censor thoughts and ideas, and so we can't stop people from adhering to asininity, but we can keep it out of our own sphere; such as saying "don't post this BS on the CG!".
    Last edited by Daelin; 09-13-2017 at 04:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daelin View Post
    ... such as saying "don't post this BS on the CG!".
    Ok, and now you've done that. Are you really worried that a bunch of people who are intensely interested in all things mapping are going to be 'turned to the darkside' by an insane flat earth video that probably no one watched in any case? Posting flat earth stuff here is akin to starting a fire in the middle of a fireman conference, it's not going to go anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    Are you really worried...
    Not so much worried as frustrated. And I'll fight ignorance wherever I come across it. I'll happily be the fireman to urinate on that metaphorical fire. If it stops it from spreading even the slightest. One member already posted a video link. It only takes one more member to be enticed by said video for the ignorance to increase by 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Daelin View Post
    Not so much worried as frustrated. And I'll fight ignorance wherever I come across it. I'll happily be the fireman to urinate on that metaphorical fire. If it stops it from spreading even the slightest. One member already posted a video link. It only takes one more member to be enticed by said video for the ignorance to increase by 100%.
    The internet (and other place as well) is full of garbage like that. If you try to convince everyone they are wrong https://xkcd.com/386/

Write a message and then move on. We got better things to do. There will always be people beliving in weird things.

@Azelor, you have good questions but i cant answer cause im not flat earther.

@Daelin, im sorry that you got headache, this wasnt my intention. You are very sensitive right?

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    Write a message and then move on. We got better things to do. There will always be people beliving in weird things.
    By that logic, never debate anything with anyone, ever. Great advice.

Quote Originally Posted by -NoXoN- View Post
    History of flath earth by Eric Dubay was impressive. In that video he explain so much.
    ...im not flat earther.
    Please read.

You are very sensitive right?
    To bull****, yes.

Daelin, maybe i am offended now. I never said that earth is flat. I can watch a video about aliens and it can be impressive to me but doesnt mean that i believe in aliens.
    Insults are mark of loosers.

I learned that: Earth revolves around the sun at: 66,600 mph, curvature of one square mile is: .666 ft, earth tilts at: 66.6 and much more i learned and i dont care if this is a masonic number. He have some good questions.

Interesting, you are sensitive to bull**** and still you are the most active member in this topic.

The thing I find amusing about crazy theories like a flat earth is that they are always given in a top down sort of way.

So imagine it from the bottom up for a moment. You go to university, decide to do a degree and then a PHD in astrophysics or whatever BECAUSE SPACE, with a plan to go into the space industry. Or maybe a related industry. Maybe you want to design or build rocket engines. Maybe you'll be calculating orbits. Maybe you'll be working to create more accurate GPS systems, or working in satellite telecommunications, or over the horizon radar systems or I dunno. A million other things I can't think of.

So at what point does someone initiate you into this grand conspiracy? I mean it could make for a great thriller novel. But at some point someone is going to have to go "So hey, you know all that stuff you learned at school and university? It's all a lie. And this job is fake. But we'll still pay you - just keep quiet, sit over there, and play Kerbal Space Program all day."
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    The thing I find amusing about crazy theories like a flat earth is that they are always given in a top down sort of way.

So imagine it from the bottom up for a moment. You go to university, decide to do a degree and then a PHD in astrophysics or whatever BECAUSE SPACE, with a plan to go into the space industry. Or maybe a related industry. Maybe you want to design or build rocket engines. Maybe you'll be calculating orbits. Maybe you'll be working to create more accurate GPS systems, or working in satellite telecommunications, or over the horizon radar systems or I dunno. A million other things I can't think of.

So at what point does someone initiate you into this grand conspiracy? I mean it could make for a great thriller novel. But at some point someone is going to have to go "So hey, you know all that stuff you learned at school and university? It's all a lie. And this job is fake. But we'll still pay you - just keep quiet, sit over there, and play Kerbal Space Program all day."
    Well there is that and there is also the fact that none of the things they would learn to do any of those things would actually work. Indeed the British would never have ruled over an empire on which the sun never sets if they didn't use the maths required to navigate a globe, or which was indeed on a globe. Flat earth is stupid, so stupid that it makes me question the myth as mentioned earlier (that the majority of people thought it was flat at any point in history). No one who goes out and looks at a horizon would say its flat, if they possessed the slightest bit of intellectual integrity.

I think this thread has run its course.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast