Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Flat Earth

I prefer a nice fizzy, sparkling Earth rather than a flat and dull one.

Prachett seemed to make it work.

I don't understand what is happening here. It seems to me like some people are way overreacting in this thread.

I don't see anything wrong with Noxon first post. He found an interesting video (for himself) and thought to share and talk with us. Whether the video is something we agree with or not, whether the video is a bull.... or not, don't attack him just because he wanted to hear our thoughts. Remember that we have a lot people here in different age, younger people will soak up with everything that seems interesting from internet. Some people are more naive than others. (I am not saying that Noxon is any those). I am talking in general. Don't be too agressive from the very beginning.

I don't even find this thread inappropriate in any way. It does not break any rules (does it?). I don't think Noxon is trying to push here any ideas and beliefes. He simply wanted to hear our thoughts, so how about simply write "that is wrong, you should not believe it because...." etc. If you are too sensitive, then just don't write anything, leave this thread.

I don't want to see this guild closing every topic that *may* sound ridiculous for someone. I have already found some intersting posts here and some lead to off-topic for flat earth maps in different media.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

I agree. Also the flat earth map (that wasn't at all flat) that Azelor posted was kinda awesome.

I wonder the reaction on a thread about river bifurcation or flowing uphill

Quote Originally Posted by Straf View Post
    I wonder the reaction on a thread about river bifurcation or flowing uphill
    Pretty good actually : https://worldbuilding.stackexchange.com/q/11526/147

But I was asking how to make it possible, I haven't said that rivers were flowing uphill.

You know, that video was just what I needed for a good chuckle after my 58th consecutive 12 hour day at work. Kinda made me feel like I was watching an episode of The Big Bang Theory in reverse the same way I used to play all my records backwards to hear the secret messages.

Now if I could just remember that link to all the Hollow Earth theories with all their measurements and evidence that we are actually living inside the earth. Hollow Earth vs. Flat Earth. I would pay for tickets to see that debate.
    Last edited by Greason Wolfe; 09-17-2017 at 02:39 AM. Reason: adding comments
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Hollow Earth makes me think of Soap Distant.

How about a flat Earth with layers? - Flat Earth, incorporating hollow Earth as lower lying levels to the surface plane?

Mind you, if gravity in a flat Earth scenario is a plane that underlies the plane of the Earth (for consistent gravity across the entire flat Earth plane to exist), and its influence wanes the further from the surface you get (which it has to or the circling sun, moon and stars would fall out of the sky), does it follow that gravity gets stronger the deeper you go?

Maybe we should be looking out for gremlins from the lower levels - people or creatures with a stockier, shorter build, who evolved in response to the greater pull in the underlying layers? (I'm calling them Gremlins because as everyone knows something that lives in the dark just HAS to be evil, right?)

Oops! Did they evolve, or were they Created?

So many questions!

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    How about a flat Earth with layers? - Flat Earth, incorporating hollow Earth as lower lying levels to the surface plane?
    That is a pretty interesting idea. Maybe an idea for a challenge or is a world map too much for the time frame?

Mind you, if gravity in a flat Earth scenario is a plane that underlies the plane of the Earth (for consistent gravity across the entire flat Earth plane to exist), and its influence wanes the further from the surface you get (which it has to or the circling sun, moon and stars would fall out of the sky), does it follow that gravity gets stronger the deeper you go?
    A curious question. Is gravity consistent to the object as a whole or does it change? ie if you go to the center of the earth is gravity weaker, or the same, or stronger? Does anyone here know?

Maybe we should be looking out for gremlins from the lower levels - people or creatures with a stockier, shorter build, who evolved in response to the greater pull in the underlying layers? (I'm calling them Gremlins because as everyone knows something that lives in the dark just HAS to be evil, right?)
    Hence dwarfs, perhaps one of the most evil fake races in existence. Although it doesn't fit with the brave gnomes bravely resisting the onerous dwarven oppression. Although gnomes don't seem to make much of a distinction in regards to their rage between any creature bigger than themselves, so their brave resistance may just be a product of their nature and shared habitat.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast