Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Flat Earth

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    A curious question. Is gravity consistent to the object as a whole or does it change? ie if you go to the center of the earth is gravity weaker, or the same, or stronger? Does anyone here know?
    Gravity itself remains the same, but the net force you experience is reduced as you descend below the surface. Essentially, all the planet above your level cancels itself out (this is easily demonstrated and is a standard first year college physics exercise). It is probably easiest to intuit by imagining yourself at the very center of the Earth. The pressure and heat are enormous, you die, no saving throw. Oh, that doesn't help. Well, assume we carved out a little bubble at the center where you can survive. The Earth is everywhere equally above you. Now, the force of gravity is pulling at you, but there is equal mass in all directions, so you are pulling equally in all directions, so it all cancels out. This is true anywhere inside a hollow sphere, as if you get closer to one side, the mass there pulls more strongly due to proximity, but there is now more mass on the other side pulling you back and this will cancel out (this is what the physics exercise involves demonstrating). Picture the solid ball of the Earth as a series of spherical shells. The layers below your depth pull you down, those above cancel themselves out. So you gradually feel less gravitational attraction to the center of the Earth until it completely disappears at the center.

This also satisfies the need that everything has a desire to reach its lowest energy state possible. When at the centre of gravity, you'd have the least possible amount of gravitational potential energy.

Cool. Thanks or explaining that.

Guild Journeyer

I'm glad I just learned the moon is transparent... at about 1:11:00. (No I didn't watch that much, just happened to pick a time and that's what I "learned".) Too bad I spent those years in college and working in aerospace engineering. Guess I'm part of the conspiracy

But of course you are

As is my brother - another aerospace engineer. Only he's really honest about it, since he admits to programming flight simulators to 'train' helicopter pilots. They don't really fly, you know. Its all pretend - all simulated really...

(sorry! the absolute Devil has got into me tonight )

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    (sorry! the absolute Devil has got into me tonight )

I've done no such thing madam!

It must have been the relative devil.

Well yes, it might have been. I mean Relativity is again just another part of the conspiracy... isn't he?

Gravity is not constant everywhere on Earth's surface. Areas around the Hudson bay have a lower gravity.
    This is because of retreating ice from the last ice age. I don't understand much but it's very marginal anyway.
    It mean I weight less that if I was Europe.
    Coming here is a new way to lose weight.

You know I didn't watch/listen to enough of that video. Did he explain how a transparent moon blocks out the sun during a solar eclipse? I mean if we can see the stars through the moon we should certainly be able to see the sun through it as well.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Guild Journeyer

Quote Originally Posted by Greason Wolfe View Post
    You know I didn't watch/listen to enough of that video. Did he explain how a transparent moon blocks out the sun during a solar eclipse? I mean if we can see the stars through the moon we should certainly be able to see the sun through it as well.
    lol, No no no! That's not how you support a fringe view or conspiracy. First you only pick those things that seem as first blush to support your view but actually can be disproved on Myth Busters (or in your own garage if you passed your high school science classes). Second, you have to insist that your opponents must prove a negative in order to disprove your view.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456