Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Flat Earth

Default Flat Earth

Hi guys, lately i watched some videos on YouTube about flat earth but History of flath earth by Eric Dubay was impressive. In that video he explain so much.
    I know that first globe was made in 1492 but in that time they didnt have a satellite to be sure that they live in a globe, simple they decided that earth is a globe cause they can see a ship disappearing over the curvature but still this dont prove that earth is a globe.

Let me know what you guys think about earth shape and if anyone is interested of watching that video you find it here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGl8I3l-5ac&t=4217s
    Last edited by -NoXoN-; 09-12-2017 at 01:20 PM.

If the Earth was flat then it wouldn't be possible to leave town A, travelling away from it in a straight line, only to end up walking straight back into town A on that same very straight line about 24,901 miles later.

Greeks were able to prove the Earth was round with mathematics and logic 2000 years ago.
    Now in 2017 we have better knowledge, technologies, alternate reality makers and people start to doubt even about basic things...

I watched a few minutes of this farce and the guy is clearly toying with people.

If the Earth is flat, why is it not daytime everywhere at the same time? How to explain the day/night transition?
    How is it that we can't see the Mt Everest by looking in a telescope? If the Earth was flat, we should be able to look at it from anywhere on the planet assuming we have a powerful telescope.
    Water would fall off the planet at the edges and Earth would become a desert.
    The plate need to rotate on itself, otherwise there is no gravity and we would fall into space.
    But if the plate was to rotate, those at the edge would be crushed, because the speed would be much greater than in the center.
    Ships would fall off the edge yet many ships and planes navigate around the planet without disappearing and have done so for centuries (Except one Malaysian aircraft).
    The Moon is clearly round and not transparency. We can only see the areas of the Moon lit by the sunlight. Unlit parts of the Moon are not visible since the Moon doesn't emit light by herself. Any object in space that doesn't emit light will be invisible unless it starts to reflect light from another source. Thus most science fiction are wrong. Space is dark and if you rely only on your eyes, your going to crash into another spaceship. Actually, that's unlikely because space is so large. Also, objects seen through the Moon are actually satellites orbiting between the Moon and the Earth.

And the list could go on. Don't fall for it.
    Last edited by Azélor; 09-12-2017 at 11:33 AM.

I'm pretty sure the rotation has very little to do with causing gravity. Else if you went to the center of rotation at either of the poles you'd experience those very problems. As far as I understand it gravity is a function of mass.

Maybe, but centrifugal force enables space station to have artificial gravity at least.
    The G force at the edges would be huge, hence higher gravity. No?

Why this is even a thing in 2017? I wonder if the flat earthers have ever used google maps to get around. You know, that mapping app that was put together with satellite imagery. I suppose the satellite people are in on it too. Also, Elon Musk, the Russians and anyone else who ever launched something into space. Not one of them leaked the truth that the earth is in fact flat. It's a ... wait for it... GLOBAL conspiracy!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    Maybe, but centrifugal force enables space station to have artificial gravity at least.
    The G force at the edges would be huge, hence higher gravity. No?
    That is centrifugal force, not actual gravity. Basically you are constantly being flung into the floor. Or at least that's how I conceive it.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Daelin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by -NoXoN- View Post
    Let me know what you guys think about earth shape and if anyone is interested of watching that video...
    I watched it for approximately 38 seconds and then I got a headache. I sincerely do not mean to be disrespectful, but that video is absolute weapons-grade garbage, and if anyone puts any merit into this flat earth non-theory, they need to write a scathing letter to their respective government, demanding a second go at their country's primary education system, because it surely failed them the first time. Flat earth is not a thing, the same lobotomy is not a thing. It used to be, and then we, humanity, collectively, got smarter - we moved on. I'll not waste time arguing for facts and against the nonsense of a flat earth, because it would be like debating whether 2+2=4 - it's frankly beneath me.

Again, I don't mean to offend any member of this forum, and I also don't want to suppress the freedom to express and share ideas, but I don't find these types of "ideas" relevant or even worthy of this forum. I suggest that we lock this thread from any further comments, and go back to enjoying cartography, be it fanciful, beautiful, artistic, realistic and/or entirely unrealistic.
    Last edited by Daelin; 09-12-2017 at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daelin View Post
    ... I suggest that we lock this thread from any further comments, and go back to enjoying cartography, be it fanciful, beautiful, artistic, realistic and/or entirely unrealistic.
    Um... I'm not sure why this thread would warrant such a response.

Personally I've always though that the idea that everyone in the medieval period though the world was flat was a myth. I don't think a majority of people, at any time in history, believed the world to be flat, if they bothered thinking of it at all. I mean they were building devices to measure the movement of the stars and the sun in the megalithic period for Pete's sake. When did Columbus sail 1492? He was attempting to circumnavigate the globe to get a faster trade route to the far east no?

Interesting, i'll have to check it out.
    Last edited by Vigilus; 09-12-2017 at 06:07 PM.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast