Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Faladriand - a large work in progress.

Quote Originally Posted by tatteredglyph View Post
    @kacey
    I really don't know what dimensions my document size should be. I grabbed a large file of the world map of Earth and made sure the size could fit around the sphere - and use that for scale. I don't know what an equirectangular map is, nor do I know what the dimensions should be. I just use what I find. I can show you the reference if that'd help.

Well, looking on the map I'm finding it unflattering to the regions I have in mind. Now that I have proper regions in mind - and researching biomes - I think I'll be able to make something better.

I'll look into equirectangular maps and their dimensions to see if that'll help me.
    An equirectangular map is a map with a size ratio of 2:1, yours is 3:2.
    With that projection, the distance between each meridians and each longitudes is the same, making squares as they cross each other.
    It is very easy to find the longitude and latitude of any point just by looking at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    An equirectangular map is a map with a size ratio of 2:1, yours is 3:2.
    With that projection, the distance between each meridians and each longitudes is the same, making squares as they cross each other.
    It is very easy to find the longitude and latitude of any point just by looking at it.
    I honestly had no idea. Thank you for pointing that out. I was able to figure out how to scale it to 2:1, so I'll hopefully be able to size things more appropriately.

I guess it's just not easy to me. I honestly know nothing about longitudes and latitudes, however, I will be looking into all of this to hopefully create a better map. Thank you for your comment, it was quite helpful.

Guild Expert

Here's a blank equirectangular map projection, each square represents 15 degrees, It's 7000 by 3500 pixels, I hope that helps. I usually throw one of these on the top layer of my map to help me visualize how the climate might be. If you set it to multiply for the blend mode the white will disappear leaving only the lines.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blank graticule.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	2.17 MB 
ID:	100061

Hey TG
    What were you saying about getting no more comments? Lol.

Don't get discouraged, it's fun figuring out all this stuff and you're in the best place with some awesome, very knowledgeable and helpful mappers.

I just want to second mouse (or was it Kacey?) about looking up pixie's and azelor's tutorials on climate. They are going to be my Goto's when I finally get there but there's a TON of data in there that will help you get a mental grasp on exactly how intricate the climate system is. It's a delicate dance of pressures, terrain, temperature, precipitation, windflow. Azelor's guide REALLY goes down the rabbit hole as he took pixie's guide to start with and expounded on it. I would start with pixie's guide personally so you can get a grasp on the fundamentals and pixie dues a great job on walking you through it.

Just a thought

PaGaN
    THERE IS ALWAYS MORE THAN ONE RIGHT ANSWER!

Guild Expert

And I know you had trouble getting g.projector on you're system, so here is you're map reprojected to equirectangular, I hope you don't mind I just thought it might help you to see what we were talking about.

Name:	1Untitled map.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	2.22 MB 
ID:	100062

And here's the distortion...

Name:	Untitled map.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	2.44 MB 
ID:	100063

I can't even recommend you to use my own guide on climate.
    It's pretty decent (I think) until you get to the precipitation part.
    The last step (7) is really nice assuming you can get there.

@PaGaN
    It's not so much I'm discouraged as I'm feeling... stuck? In a sense. This is turning out to be a lot more complicated than I realized. I'm certainly not going to give up because of that, but it's turning out to need more energy than I have - so for a while I may be a bit silent in terms of progress shots of the map.

@kacey
    I certainly don't mind that you showed me! I actually appreciate it. Yeah, I was doing that on your blank image (thank you for it!) but I still feel I'm going to overhaul some things. Getting the feedback I am, I feel I'm slowly figuring out what I need to have in mind when completing this.

@Azelor
    As I said to PaGaN, this is a lot more complicated than I realized. However, slowly going over what you compiled, I believe I'm slowly fixing my problems. I have an ocean current layout, as well as a base climate zones (such as tropic, temperate, polar regions). I'm also looking at pixie's guide, so I'm hoping with all this new knowledge and understanding I'll have come up with a better layout of things.

With all that in mind, another new update might take a while. I want to make sure I do this properly - not just rush to show what I'm doing. (Plus stress in real life + lack of energy = really slow progress.) I thank everyone for commenting and showing me where I'm going wrong. This has helped immensely!

Oh dear! I haven't exactly helped a lot by not realising your projection was other than equirectangular!

Sorry TG - my bad. And looking back it should have been obvious to me that it wasn't!

I think I will take a back seat for a while and just watch, as I do find what you are doing interesting, even if I'm out of my depth with this world building thing

@Mouse
    Oh, that's fine~. At least I can correct things and actually look off the Earth's map properly. I even found a equirectangular map that fits perfectly in kacey's blank document. So I finally have a reference to truly look off of. And I *FINALLY* figured out how I'm going to properly scale things. My problem was that Photoshop was reading centimeters rather than pixels (and I obviously needed it to read pixels). So, I have my proper measurement scale! I double checked with how long America was and how long other places were, so, my measurements are very close to Earths (sort of, may be a bit larger, but not by much).

I think I'm finally making some good progress.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567