Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Dyson's Inktober & Mapvember

Wooo! Keep going, Dyson!

Quote Originally Posted by Eri View Post
    Can I ask what pens you use for these.. Size and brand and all that. Currently using some cheapies from the newsagents and wanting to get some decent pens.
    First of all, here's my standard response to the Pen Question.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	never know what pen she used.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	281.4 KB 
ID:	100958

I tend to use Mitsubishi Uni Pins primarily, occasionally defaulting back to my large pile of Sakura Microns.

For most maps I use a 05 or 08 for the heavy lines (walls), 03 or 02 for the hatching, 02 or 01 for details, and 005 for the floor and similar tiny details.

I prefer the Uni Pins because they have a slightly softer tip than the Microns, giving me more line thickness control. Except in the 005 size, where the opposite is true and I revert to the Microns.
    Dyson's Dodecahedron
    an RPG blog, with a few maps

Pretty much all my maps are drawn by hand - ink on paper - and then scanned and contrast-enhanced

Quote Originally Posted by Lukc View Post
    Wooo! Keep going, Dyson!
    Thanks man!

I didn't know you hung out around here too.

I remain an unabashed fan of you and your work.
    Dyson's Dodecahedron

Pretty much all my maps are drawn by hand - ink on paper - and then scanned and contrast-enhanced

#Mapvember2017 #DnD map 9 - cave of the Minotaur.

While a small cave, the Minotaur cave in Keep on the Borderlands is listed as "Cave I" where the I stands for "Incredibly Difficult to Map" - because it ignores the grid completely AND has strange magics to confuse adventurers.

I have NO IDEA how people will be able to use this with a VTT, since the caves require that you purposefully indicate other directions for intersections. Nonetheless I'll scan this one with both a 1200dpi scan and a vector version with a 5' grid added between the 10' grid marks.

Name:	mapvember2017-09-cave-of-the-minotaur.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	2.98 MB 
ID:	100994
    Dyson's Dodecahedron

I hop in to say that the thread keeps getting better and better I'll also ask your opinion on pens. As fineliners, I used Staedlers (two types with mixed results), Faber-Castells (very good grip and pretty soft tips) and sakura microns. I was wondering if you had any experience with copic multiliners ?

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    I hop in to say that the thread keeps getting better and better I'll also ask your opinion on pens. As fineliners, I used Staedlers (two types with mixed results), Faber-Castells (very good grip and pretty soft tips) and sakura microns. I was wondering if you had any experience with copic multiliners ?
    I have very little experience with pens, TBH. I only started using technical felt-tips instead of plain old gel pens in December of 2013, and have only really worked with Sakura Microns and Mitsubishi Uni Pins.
    Dyson's Dodecahedron

#Mapvember2017 Map 10 - "Naga"

Falling behind already! I took too much time yesterday jawing with a bunch of friends and then buying and modifying my copy of Xanathar's Guide.

So here we go, a rushed "Lost City of the Naga Queens".

Turns out the Nagas never lost it - the defensive energy screen is still in effect, held in place by the pylons their servants maintain to keep the city safe. They just prefer that everyone else forget about the place so they can go about their business.

Name:	mapvember2017-10-lost-city-of-the-naga-queens.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	2.37 MB 
ID:	101054
    Dyson's Dodecahedron

Quote Originally Posted by Dyson Logos View Post
    #Mapvember2017 Map 10 - "Naga"

Falling behind already! I took too much time yesterday jawing with a bunch of friends and then buying and modifying my copy of Xanathar's Guide.

So here we go, a rushed "Lost City of the Naga Queens".

Turns out the Nagas never lost it - the defensive energy screen is still in effect, held in place by the pylons their servants maintain to keep the city safe. They just prefer that everyone else forget about the place so they can go about their business.

Name:	mapvember2017-10-lost-city-of-the-naga-queens.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	2.37 MB 
ID:	101054
    It's almost funny to have you say about falling behind.
    You are prolific in your output, so.. you'd only be falling behind your own level.
    I'm definitely cheering for you to keep at it.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    It's almost funny to have you say about falling behind.
    You are prolific in your output, so.. you'd only be falling behind your own level.
    I'm definitely cheering for you to keep at it.
    I ended up 5 short for #Inktober, and I don't want to fall into that kind of deficit this month. Especially since I have a game to run tomorrow so I probably won't get around to drawing one then...

So, that said:

#Mapvember2017 Map 11 - "Medusa"

Well, this isn't a medusa's lair by an stretch - but there's a rumour that a fair maiden has been imprisoned within the caves and you should definitely go in there, find her and rescue her. She's in the 20' x 20' room on the lower left-ish part of the map, chained to the wall, and definitely not a medusa. HONEST.

Once again, one of the maps for my full redraw of the Caves of Chaos - when I'm done I'm planning to scan them all at uber-high resolution, and then release them in a vector format so they can be printed even as battle maps (and I'll include a 5' sub grid to further divide the 10' squares of the original).

Name:	mapvember2017-11-shrine-of-evil-chaos.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	3.18 MB 
ID:	101063
    Dyson's Dodecahedron

#Mapvember2017 - Map 12 - Kobold

While Tucker's Kobolds get played up a lot, for many of us the first encounter with Kobolds was within this cave. And while they weren't the master combatants with split-move-and-fire tactics, they did leave guards hiding in the trees outside of the cave, and had a pit trap on the way in.

Name:	mapvember2017-12-kobold-lair.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	2.08 MB 
ID:	101116
    Dyson's Dodecahedron

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast