Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dyson's Inktober & Mapvember

Map Dyson's Inktober & Mapvember

Hey folks, it has been almost a year since I was here last, but this year I'm combining #Inktober with #Mapvember and aiming to draw/ink 61 maps in 61 days. And that reminded me that I chronicled my Mapvember progress on here last year, so I thought I should try it again!

#Inktober2017 - Map #01 - "Swift"

I need a map for the "Heart of Darkling" series I'm posting every month, so here's another location along the Darkling river - the Swiftwater Monastery.

This map is almost a full legal sized page in size. If I'm going to make it through Inktober & Mapvember, I've got to remind myself that it is ok to draw nice small maps too.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	inktober-01-swiftwaters-monastery.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	3.22 MB 
ID:	99794
    Dyson's Dodecahedron
    an RPG blog, with a few maps

Pretty much all my maps are drawn by hand - ink on paper - and then scanned and contrast-enhanced

Default Inktober #02

#Inktober2017 - Map #02 - "Divided"

Like yesterday's map, this one was heavily influenced by what I need - which is another map for the "My Private Jakalla" megadungeon project (last month had me so floored with work that I fell behind on the maps for posting to the blog in October).

So the focus on this map is a massive hall that is partially collapsed and flooded that breaks this map region into two different areas. From the edge of one of the two galleries looking down into the flooded hall, you can just barely make out the other one under most dungeoneering light (there's a 60 foot gap between them).

Name:	inktober-02-the-divide.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	3.36 MB 
ID:	99795
    Dyson's Dodecahedron

Pretty much all my maps are drawn by hand - ink on paper - and then scanned and contrast-enhanced

Default Inktober #03

#Inktober2017 - Map #03 - "Poison"

For today's prompt, I went with the tower/house of an assassin who specializes in poisons & venoms. The structure contains large window boxes for growing poisonous plants (and a few pretty and harmless flowers that the poisoner just enjoys looking at and nurturing), some lab space to work on the poisoner's craft, and the usual things you'd expect to find in an odd home (bedroom, study, secret basement with even secreter basement with a nice sturdy locking closet for keeping people against their will, or for locking yourself into to pretend to be someone needing rescue, etc.)

I don't often say this about my work, but I love this map. This map looks good. It is the level of map that I would want to buy when writing an adventure. I'm proud of this piece.

Name:	inktober-03-the-poisoners-tower.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	2.48 MB 
ID:	99796
    Dyson's Dodecahedron

Default Inktober #04

#Inktober2017 - Map 04 - "Underwater"

Based on an adventure I've been running (but totally a different floor plan than the actual shipwreck the adventure has been using) we have the wreck of the pirate sloop "the Wight's Shadow".

Because once you get magic to breathe underwater, exploring shipwrecks seems like a natural next step.

Now I need to start practicing my hand-lettering.

Name:	inktober-04-wreck-of-the-wights-shadow.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	1,015.5 KB 
ID:	99797
    Dyson's Dodecahedron

Wow, I salute you! You're off to a fantastic start.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

I agree. These all look amazing!

#Inktober2017 - Map 05 - "Long"

One thing you saw in a number of classic D&D adventure modules were crazy long hallways to break parts of the dungeon apart. Part of it was so we could have more wandering monsters. Part of it was so the rest of the place wouldn't rise up when adventurers noisily executed the guys in room 3. And part of it was so you could slip in the occasional sloping passage so characters wouldn't realize they had transitioned between dungeon levels (and thus difficulty levels).

Today's inktober map is on a legal (8.5 x 14) page to give me more room for those long passages that stretch 200 to 300 feet.

Name:	inktober-05-srubeks-halls.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	2.91 MB 
ID:	99856
    Dyson's Dodecahedron

#Inktober2017 - Map 06 - "Sword"

They call it "The Strike", the place where a massive longsword of a magical material sits embedded in the stone, surrounded by a small crater. Over the years a small church and a few buildings have been built up around the strike, and a temple dug underground where the faint glow of the magical material can be seen. Some come down here to establish their vows as paladins, others to take in the essence of the blade to supposedly increase their martial prowess.

(Not really happy with this one in execution, but love it in concept)

Name:	inktober-06-the-strike.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	716.1 KB 
ID:	99891
    Dyson's Dodecahedron

I really like the way you make ordinary square rooms look interesting just by twisting the corridors to change the angle in map 5.

Map 6 is amazingly well conceived, and very well drawn

Thanks, Mouse, ChickPea, and Arivinah!

I'm hoping I can maintain dedication to this project for 61 days in a row. My track record on projects like these isn't very good.
    Dyson's Dodecahedron

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast