Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: NaNoWriMo - National Novel Writing Month

I've added a couple of buddies who I think may be tilt and rdanhenry.

I don't do well with deadlines, so I've never participated. However, I have three lingering ideas that might make for good novels. Just gotta figure out the best way to tackle actually writing it all out. Either that, or I could break the novel into short stories, might make it easier for me. (Or use the short story format, and piece everything together for a "novel".)

But, in regards to time and such: it's simply about how you manage your time. If you really want to participate, make sure to take this month to plan, plan, and plan. Because ultimately it comes down to "are you going to have time" and "are you willing to make time." If you find out you can't do it this month, you can always figure out a way to just do it yourself in the future.

I'm "R. Dan Henry" on nanowrimo. I welcome writing buddies.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I've never entered NaNoWriMo, but... I just might this year. For one thing, I'm working short weeks right now, so I've got 3 day weekends every week. That's the plus. The negative is that my commute each way is more than 2 freakin' hours and all I want to do when I get home is sleep. BUT - if I only write on days off (including Thanksgiving), I'd need to write over 3800 words a day to finish. That actually might be manageable...

Hey guys

Don't just go and automatically friend the Mouse over at NaNoWriMo.

That Mouse ISN'T me.

(that Mouse is possibly a really nice person - just be totally aware that he has absolutely nothing to do with me - thanks)
    Last edited by Mouse; 10-11-2017 at 12:45 AM.

Can't be 'Mouse', so I'll go with my pen name. I had to have one. I mean, there are literally thousands of Sue Daniel people around! The odd thing is we are such a creative sort of person by name:- an opera singer, a professional landscape painter.... so.... I've gone with:

Meloa Bray

The first part is a completely made up name - the name of my protagonists mother, an inventor/anarchist/crazy woman, so there shouldn't be too many of them around just yet. Not till I publish and become world famous that is

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Straf View Post
    I've added a couple of buddies who I think may be tilt and rdanhenry.
    Yep - and I added you back now

Quote Originally Posted by rdanhenry View Post
    I'm "R. Dan Henry" on nanowrimo. I welcome writing buddies.
    Added you as well

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Meloa Bray... the ... world famous
    Consider yourself added

I've just logged in to the writing program Dabble (one of the sponsors of the event) ... even though I wince at the monthly price instead of a one off payment, its free till december and it seems like a nice and simple tool to work and plot in.
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

That's how they trap you into paying it - a free ride to get you so used to using it that you would pay anything to carry on.

Have you tried Scrivener? There are absolutely loads and loads of writing apps out there for about £50 one payment. I have collected, um, 4 in the last 10 years, but there were lots more I looked at.

Try Googling "Writing software" before you get started on that thing, as you know that the more words you put into it the harder it will be to swap over to something else instead.

I have microsoft office 365 on my laptop... I got it specifically for my writing.

Do we just have to write 50,000 words? or do we have to complete the story? And would it be wrong, unfair, cheating to post something I've already started? This would give me an incentive to get back to a storyline that I started AGES ago, and sidelined when life got too busy and complicated. It's the prequel to another novel idea I already had, but haven't started yet...

I doubt I would be able to finish the whole novel in the month... but it would get me back into it, to the point that I MIGHT actually get it finished, so that I can start on the idea I originally planned!
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

I've signed up, my account name is my penn name, S D McDaniel. After reading over everything... it says that we can enter an excerpt from the novel before Nov, so apparently, it doesn't matter if it's something we've already started.
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast