Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: NaNoWriMo - National Novel Writing Month

lol... uhm, Straff, I'm not in the habit of cheating, and I don't see why I should start now. My biggest issue was if I could work on a piece I had already started, and it seems like, as long as I only use what I have written in November, I am allowed to do that... that's fine with me
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Guild Artisan

I used to use ywriter for a program but found I really got to bogged down in all the cool gadgets, plot graphs, etc. Now I just write in LibreOffice.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I don't know that I'll officially enroll on the nanowrimo site, but I do plan on attempting 50K words in November...

Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    Hehe... you're writing a comedy I guess? ... good suggestion with the TK.
    The TK isn't my idea - I got it from elsewhere. There are a few sites that recommend it, here's one https://lifehacker.com/5129153/use-t...ch-black-holes

Quote Originally Posted by ladiestorm View Post
    lol... uhm, Straff, I'm not in the habit of cheating, and I don't see why I should start now. My biggest issue was if I could work on a piece I had already started, and it seems like, as long as I only use what I have written in November, I am allowed to do that... that's fine with me
    Oh I wasn't suggesting that you'd cheat at all, I was making a general statement about the spirit of NaNoWriMo It's your personal project and the generally accepted goal is to hit 50k words within 30 days. I was sort of thinking if you produced an already made map as a challenge entry here at the Guild it'd be unfair on the other participants, unless everyone started with the same basic map and then had to add a certain number of elements to finish it... hmmm, there's an idearep.

Except I couldn't think of an appropriate Guild analogy so I copped out and mentioned cheating. I think what I was trying to say is pretending to write 50000 words in November doesn't have any affect on anyone. Sorry I've just had 3 mugs of coffee by accident and I'm gibbering on a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    I bought Scrivener for my Mac some years ago.. it wasn't on PC then, but I can see it is now. And I'm only on PC these days. But yes.. I don't mind subscribing when it makes sense - but a writing program (even with backup in the cloud) doesn't really seem to mandate monthly payments. And funny enough I was just thinking on "can I get my words out of the program" on my way home from work today lol - I do like the plotting tool they have though.. I guess I can make it myself in.. some program though.
    I'm giving this a bash: http://www.theologeek.ch/manuskript/

I don't seem to be able to edit my one sentence summary though.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Dammit ... I just realised that I need to draw a map for making the book, cause what is a book without a map... so another big thing for the list to do before november 1st. ... fun thing though.. but still.. hours of work.. LOL
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Blog Entries

So, just got challenged by a friend yesterday, so now there's a nice bottle of wine at stake - first to 25.000 words win .. so I better start plotting
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::

Good luck, Tilt

I've decided this is the wrong method for me personally, but I wish all of you all the best.
    Last edited by Mouse; 10-12-2017 at 03:46 PM.

Blog Entries

Thanks Mouse.. and yes, its a special method to basically bring awareness about writing and getting more people to do it. I'm guessing I'm gonna need a lot of editing after and will probably be annoyed that I shouldn't go back and edit along the way. But I see it as a fun way to get a kickstart on that next novel, and if I succeed I will at least have written a lot and gotten a good base for the story down. So I'm in it for the fun - and to get the book going and what comes after.. I'll take that then ... so I think you should just try it .. for a few days and see how it goes .. then, you can sign out if it really bugs you, but as they say.. "there is no time like the present".. (or November in this case) LOL
    regs tilt

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Ok, I feel kind of guilty filling up other people's threads with questions, and really I only want to know one thing, but after that the thread is here for people to chit chat about it if they want

I started it as a thread in its own right, even though its totally off topic, because there do seem to be a huge number of not just writers here, but also writers who have previously taken part in NaNoWriMo. And, heck - fantasy maps and books are kind of inextricably linked from my point of view...

My question is - has anyone ever done this and succeeded in getting to 50,000 words while simultaneously working a new job where they are still very unsure about all the procedures and learning new stuff at the rate of a head full a day?
    Like others, I've not been in that exact situation, but I do work full time, with a long-ish commute and a partner who I would rather not ignore for evenings on end for a month and I have had at least one major success in taking part in NaNoWriMo after trying it 3 times. I guess my main response to you is, have you ever done NaNoWriMo before? If not, I would wholeheartedly recommend that you sign up and do as much as you can. One of the keys things that I take away from NaNoWriMo is just how much time I can devote to writing if I set my mind to it. Even though I've been working on a novel idea for over 3 years now, it was only when I committed to NaNoWriMo that I finally wrote more than a few thousand words, a hastily hand-drawn map and some random notes. The other thing to learn from NaNoWriMo is what are the things that crop up that get in the way of your writing? Knowing this can help any budding writer to figure out how, when and where they can write the best/most.
    Last edited by AsDuskFalls; 10-23-2017 at 07:55 AM. Reason: typo

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast