Thread: WIP Hand Drawn and CC3+ remake.

Wip WIP Hand Drawn and CC3+ remake.

Hi all. Here are two pictures of one continent in my world. The first one in the hand drawn map the wife and I worked on, the second is the trace done on CC3+. I know I need alot of work to make it look more realistic. So any help or advice would be very appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Archaidon.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	100091

Name:	Printed map.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	627.6 KB 
ID:	100092

I guess what I am asking is, do I have everything placed where they should be placed on a real map? (mountains, hills,forest, rivers ect)

It's hard to say much about how things are placed without an idea of scale. How large is this land mass?

Your rivers have some slightly implausible behavior, but aren't too bad. Generally, mountains are the high point of a landscape and the coastlines are the low point. That statement matters because water flows downhill without special assistance. If water is flowing up and over a mountain range, for example, it says some things about relative heights of the two sides of that mountain range as well as implying some special formation conditions for those mountains. Similarly, if a river starts out near a coastline and flows away from or parallel to that coastline, then there must be some barrier along that coastline that prevents it from just heading to the sea.

It depends what you want your map to show. A political map might not display mountains, forests or rivers because that's not the point of the map.

Rivers would be nice but not necessary.
    You can also add roads, cities.
    A scale to indicate the size of the map.
    Add a desert, swamp, tundra or other biomes if there are any.

The scale is 1 square equals 10 miles. If need be I can make it equal 20 miles. I understand exactly what you are saying about the river and the mountains. I'm thinking about putting the mountain on the coastline and making small rivers from the mountains. I want the map to be a basic overland map. I want it to show forest, and river and mountains as well as cities, towns and other land marks as well as roads. Each number on the hand drawn map is a city town hamlet walled city ect. Then I want to make map of each of those into close up maps with details of each. I didn't go to far on the CC3+ map in case I had to change things up. Thank both of your for your input and I will change the map accordingly .

If you are even mapping hamlets (something I would not recommend), this area is very sparsely populated.
    This guide http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/blueroom/demog.htm
    suggest 1 or 2 miles between small villages. It's not much but a hamlet is just a handful of buildings.

Well here is what the wife and I have come up with so far.

Name:	Dave[1].JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	122.6 KB 
ID:	100916
    Last edited by Dakius; 11-07-2017 at 02:56 PM.

Here are some of the changes the wife and I made on our map. One grid square is 30 miles.

Name:	Dave[1].JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	101158