Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Village of Llewyn

I disagree with the labeling issue. It is not a map dense enough to require numbers and columns. I much prefer the method done here, that way you don't have to hunt down numbers or do the ping pong routine with your eyes, all the labels are right where you need to see them.

Obviously I like the map, looks great.

My first look makes me say that I love it. I'll have to take some more time for the critics

Very cool map! Like others I'm not a huge fan of the lettering but otherwise it is an amazing map.

I'll throw in a vote that I think the labels are really neat the way they are! They're something different, which I appreciate. In fact, in general I don't like keys so much, because they end up making everything seem like it has the same level of importance; but when you have to clear a little space for a label, you have to decide what's important enough to get text.

The way you've done it hear looks pretty cool. I like it.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by —FORGE— View Post
    Awesome village, JO!

The map itself is very well done! I have to agree with Diamond about the labels, but I think they get the job done (and considering the tools that are available to you, you had clean and neat calligraphy). I really like it! Keep up the good work!
    Thanks ! I might try to change those labels when I'll be able to sit for a long time in front of a computer

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Have echo Diamonds comments. Lovely map but not so keen on the text. The key thing I think is where you label each house with a number and have a box somewhere on the border listing all the buildings with smaller horizontal text in a column. For a map like this I think using a key is preferable.
    Thanks a lot for your comment and for the explanation !
    I understand why you would prefer a key, but that was not the intention at the beginning, so I didn't plan to let some spaces for the box.. But I'll try to make a key for this map one of these days !

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    That's a brilliant map, Jo

The line work and shading is just superb. Its a shame the shading seems to blur the line work a bit on the rooftops, but I expect that's just another feature of procreate you might not be so keen on, since I do remember you saying that shading was a bit difficult on a couple of your other maps.

The village has character and presence, as if it really exists somewhere in the real world
    Thanks Mouse ! Actually, first I wanted to be able to sit long enough to draw the shadows, but I tried with Procreate...and it wasn't easy. Amongst other thing, you can't select a surface limited by a stroke automatically, so you have to draw everything carefully fellowing the lines (and come back with the eraser or the "finger" to correct mistake) And if you want to take a brush that would look a bit "fuzzy", then every stroke you make has to be corrected... I confess I hadn't the will to spend weeks on this little map... I've just made it to discover procreate and try to have some fun...

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    I agree with Diamond. In the future you might want to have a look at Inkscape if you are looking for a free program that can handle labeling. It's got a bit of a learning curve (and a sort of counter intuitive user interface) but its text editor is fairly strong for a free program (much better than other free programs I've tried). Nice work.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Hello Arsheesh !

Thanks for your comment ! The problem wasn't the software, it was the ability to stay sit long enough in order to put the labels.... I'm currently labelling another map, and I use PS Elements for it... It's OK, but it's taking me ages to do so, because after less than one hour, I have to lie down again because of my back (that I hurt)

I'll try to come back to that map when my back will be better...

Quote Originally Posted by rdanhenry View Post
    Personally, I love the labels! They really help give the map a unique character and not at all a typical village map.
    Thanks a lot ! I did try to make something unusual, and I wanted to be a little bit funny with my labels, so I wanted that the way I wrote them should reflect the non-serious choice of names...
    I'll try better next time !

Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    Very nice map indeed, especially love the stream and ford, they seem so nice and friendly .... There are some shadows that is in the wrong direction, a strange colored box in the south-east and a few elements that seems to float. And yes, a key (ie. a list of names referring to numbers on the map for places of interest) would have been a nice way to go - that would leave the actual map less busy. But look very good indeed - I'd love to get my hands on an ipad at some point and procrastinate

Thanks Tilt !
    I'm glad you like it... I've been looking for the wrong shadows, but I didn't find them (I found one missing, though...) I think the strange colored box is a stain on the parchment (I had the bad idea to try to draw a table with chairs on it, but it seems confusing), and if you could point the floating elements, I'll try to correct that (together with a key for the labels) when I'll be able to sit long enough in front of a computer !
    About the iPad, I don't know if you meant it, but I wasn't procrastinating, I was using Procreate (the drawing application)... Or maybe I was procrastinating with procreate ???

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast