Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Village of Llewyn

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Map Village of Llewyn

Hello !

This is a little map of a village I've made those past few days... No particular idea in mind other than drawing a map to help my recovery and learning to use procreate on IPad Pro... It's far from perfect, but I wonder what you think of it !
    C & C Welcome

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3D86DB2C-054C-4911-9995-415420C4F9CB.jpeg 
Views:	929 
Size:	4.04 MB 
ID:	100121
    Last edited by - JO -; 10-14-2017 at 04:07 PM.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I'm not a huge fan of the way you did the labels (in my opinion it would've been cleaner to use a key), but the map itself is fantastic! I especially love the way you did the river and the mill.

Oh, and you've got a stray line on there...

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    I'm not a huge fan of the way you did the labels (in my opinion it would've been cleaner to use a key), but the map itself is fantastic! I especially love the way you did the river and the mill.

Oh, and you've got a stray line on there...
    Thanks Diamond !

I've spotted the stray line... (hard to miss...) and I could erase it : that's one of the difficulty with procreate : when you want to move in your drawing, it's with two fingers... If you miss your move, you find yourself with a big line in the middle of your map !

for the labels, I made what I could : procreate has no text tool... So I draw the labels myself and it's far from perfect.
    I just didn't understood what you meant by "using a key" ... Do you mean a chroma key ? (I don't think it's a feature on procreate)

Thanks anyway for your concern !

Without the ugly stray line (sorry)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12A7396A-AFAF-48FA-8FAB-4E49A39CB7F5.jpeg 
Views:	403 
Size:	4.03 MB 
ID:	100123

Guild Novice

Awesome village, JO!

The map itself is very well done! I have to agree with Diamond about the labels, but I think they get the job done (and considering the tools that are available to you, you had clean and neat calligraphy). I really like it! Keep up the good work!

Blog Entries

Have echo Diamonds comments. Lovely map but not so keen on the text. The key thing I think is where you label each house with a number and have a box somewhere on the border listing all the buildings with smaller horizontal text in a column. For a map like this I think using a key is preferable.

That's a brilliant map, Jo

The line work and shading is just superb. Its a shame the shading seems to blur the line work a bit on the rooftops, but I expect that's just another feature of procreate you might not be so keen on, since I do remember you saying that shading was a bit difficult on a couple of your other maps.

The village has character and presence, as if it really exists somewhere in the real world

I agree with Diamond. In the future you might want to have a look at Inkscape if you are looking for a free program that can handle labeling. It's got a bit of a learning curve (and a sort of counter intuitive user interface) but its text editor is fairly strong for a free program (much better than other free programs I've tried). Nice work.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Personally, I love the labels! They really help give the map a unique character and not at all a typical village map.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Very nice map indeed, especially love the stream and ford, they seem so nice and friendly .... There are some shadows that is in the wrong direction, a strange colored box in the south-east and a few elements that seems to float. And yes, a key (ie. a list of names referring to numbers on the map for places of interest) would have been a nice way to go - that would leave the actual map less busy. But look very good indeed - I'd love to get my hands on an ipad at some point and procrastinate
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast