Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1st Commission WIP Thread

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Blaidd Drwg's Avatar

Grats on your first commission!

I find that my speed depends more on my confidence than actual skill. But then, I am probably the King of Procrastination when I get nervous.

Just for fun, take a stab at it, very quickly, not worrying about anything and enjoy the result. That's an enlighting experience.

@ Straf : I'm curious about your field of work ?

Before I get started, whoever commissioned you did so based on your prior work, so if anything I say here goes against the style of your prior work, ignore me and run with what you do. It is important to internalize that the people buying / commissioning your work are doing so because they like your work and want more of your work, not some idealized version of your work that you have in your head.

(This is kind of a BIG DEAL, in my opinion. I recently finished my highest paying commission to date at $1k/page and I had some major self-doubts doing the work - trying to push for better than I had done before, to create something that approached what I felt a $1k version of one my maps SHOULD be instead of accepting that I was hired to produce what I produce, not what I wish I produced.)

In particular, your underground sections have a very faded and quickly fading texture around them. The texture is pale enough and fades so quickly to white that it doesn't seem to do the job of projecting the fact that this is underground and the negative space is "full" instead of "empty". I would consider testing different distances from the drawn line edge to the beginning of the fade, and/or different brightnesses and contrasts for the texture itself to get a bit more of a "pop" in that layer.
    Dyson's Dodecahedron
    an RPG blog, with a few maps

Pretty much all my maps are drawn by hand - ink on paper - and then scanned and contrast-enhanced

Thanks Guys,

Here is an update, which I'll probably re-do now that I've read your post Dyson. For some reason I didn't get email notifications of the last couple of posts...

Firstly, here is the map the publisher saw as my sample;

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CotWK_OPD_Final3.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	100379

Here is my update of the almost (now) completed map for the lighthouse:

Name:	WIP LighthouseV2.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	259.8 KB 
ID:	100380

And for good measure the WIP of the local regional map.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	WIP Local Scale Map V3.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	259.0 KB 
ID:	100381

So, I'm basically doing the remaining 4 maps for free... that's how bloody long I spent on the first one I will get quicker, and I will get better.

Once again, thanks for your suggestions and advice guys, it is really appreciated.
    Last edited by damonjynx; 10-21-2017 at 08:07 AM.
    Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at: damonjynx.blogspot.com.au

Finished Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Dyson Logos View Post
    Before I get started, whoever commissioned you did so based on your prior work, so if anything I say here goes against the style of your prior work, ignore me and run with what you do. It is important to internalize that the people buying / commissioning your work are doing so because they like your work and want more of your work, not some idealized version of your work that you have in your head.

(This is kind of a BIG DEAL, in my opinion. I recently finished my highest paying commission to date at $1k/page and I had some major self-doubts doing the work - trying to push for better than I had done before, to create something that approached what I felt a $1k version of one my maps SHOULD be instead of accepting that I was hired to produce what I produce, not what I wish I produced.)

In particular, your underground sections have a very faded and quickly fading texture around them. The texture is pale enough and fades so quickly to white that it doesn't seem to do the job of projecting the fact that this is underground and the negative space is "full" instead of "empty". I would consider testing different distances from the drawn line edge to the beginning of the fade, and/or different brightnesses and contrasts for the texture itself to get a bit more of a "pop" in that layer.
    Sage advice, thanks Dyson. My problem is that I know how I did the effect but I can't remember exactly which brushes and settings I used to replicate it perfectly...

Anyhow, I've adjusted my 'shading' to make it darker and stand out more, it's pretty damn close.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	WIP LighthouseV2.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	378.2 KB 
ID:	100383

Finished Maps

The latest is stronger and matches what I expect for a map, so obviously *I* like it.
    Dyson's Dodecahedron

Pretty much all my maps are drawn by hand - ink on paper - and then scanned and contrast-enhanced

Thanks Dyson.

I'm going back to just doing the inset part of the regional map; doing the whole thing at half a page isn't worth the bother, you lose any detail at all.

Here's a semi-finished WIP if the Barrows map, just missing a key/labels. any suggestions, re one way or the other?

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	WIP Marsh Barrowsv2.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	417.7 KB 
ID:	100447

Finished Maps

Nope, it is strong like that, and the inset is clearly an inset map which is good.
    Dyson's Dodecahedron

@Dyson, thanks for comments Dyson, I really admire your work.

Hi Folks,

Another update & a plea for HELP!

Here is the map above labelled. I've just got to add the marshes in and draw the scale square for the overland section.

Name:	WIP Marsh Barrowsv3.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	481.6 KB 
ID:	100526

I'm really happy with these two but the next one...

Here is the next one I'm working on and I need some assistance with it. Truth be told, it's probably the simplest map of all and I'm struggling with it.

The first pic is the sketch I'm working from and the second my interpretation, I think mine looks crap...any suggestions?

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Smugglers Camp.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	294.2 KB 
ID:	100527Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP Smugglers Camp.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	355.3 KB 
ID:	100528

Thanks in advance!

Finished Maps

Another update!

So I sent the first 3 complete(?) maps plus WIP's of the remaining 2 to the client, for feedback, changes etc.. The response was, and I quote "These are looking great, Jim".

So the 'finished' Barrows Map & Smugglers Camp Map:

Name:	WIP Marsh Barrowsv3.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	492.7 KB 
ID:	100572 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP Smugglers Camp V2.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	365.9 KB 
ID:	100576

The two remaining WIP's, first the Ruined Tower then the Local Scale Map inset:

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	WIP Ruined Watchtower.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	256.8 KB 
ID:	100573 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP Local Scale Map.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	175.4 KB 
ID:	100574

I'm not particularly happy with the mountains on the local scale map, they're not quite what I'm looking for, they're from a brush pack I downloaded and forgive me whoever you are but I don't recall who created them...

I asked the client if they had a preference for style regarding the mountains but nothing was said...

As usual, critique, suggestions and so on always welcome.

These have taken waaay too long for what I'm getting paid but I've now set up a template and I'll set up a 'brush preset library' so that I can produce additional maps consistently and faster, along with negotiating a better pay rate - hopefully...
    Last edited by damonjynx; 10-26-2017 at 06:58 PM.

Finished Maps

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast