Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: temple of Filadelfia perepective map W.I.P

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

Default temple of Filadelfia perepective map W.I.P

So, in my never-ending quest to try out different styles of maps by throwing myself into the deep end with little to no practice on small easy maps, here's my attempt at a perspective cutaway / cross-section map. This is probably my favourite type of map ever - i used to spend hours looking at my National Geographic pull-out maps, perspective city maps, Steven Biestly cross-section books and, more recently, the Star Wars vehicle cutaway books. The design work that goes into these maps is really inspiring and the artistic skin that covers everything is just the cherry on top!

The subject is a classical-style temple in my con world of Elyden. I drew the plan yesterday though I still need to add the other floors (including catacombs and crypts), and front/side elevations, though in my excitement I spent the day researching 2 point perspective and maps in the style I'd like to emulate.

Here's my floor plan and perspective mock-up

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	temple of filadelfia  ground.png 
Views:	91 
Size:	580.6 KB 
ID:	100394 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	filadelfia perspective.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	9.23 MB 
ID:	100395

And here are some inspirational maps I'm looking at (though I'd like mine to be half this good I'll settle for a much smaller fraction

Name:	5780501d-b344-4140-a9d6-37d75c44105d.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	254.1 KB 
ID:	100396 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wtx59Rt.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	956.6 KB 
ID:	100397 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3AF5C05100000578-0-image-a-149_1480691474567.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	238.2 KB 
ID:	100398

Cutaway maps are something I remember very fondly from my childhood. I would have no idea how to start with making a cutaway map so I'll be following this one to see if I can pick up any tips!

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

oooooh.. love cut-away-maps... looking very much forward to seeing what you do with this, already looking like a good start
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Nice to see you working on this. I was drawing a tiny criss section for a cave in a cliffs side the other day and I couldn't figure out how to do it for the life of me. Really looking forward to see what you do with this (:

Quote Originally Posted by DanielHasenbos View Post
    I was drawing a tiny criss section for a cave in a cliffs side the other day and I couldn't figure out how to do it for the life of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by QED42 View Post
    I would have no idea how to start with making a cutaway map so I'll be following this one to see if I can pick up any tips!
    I'm beginning to see what a difficult map i chose to start with, but I shall persevere! lots of perspective lines to follow...

I would shy away! You are very brave

Perspective lines/grids definitely help - a lot. I suspect that a lot of the artists who's images you have shown in your first comment on this thread used something like Sketchup to create the actual 3D model to export and work on in PS (or whatever software you use).

If I had to do one of these to save my life, that's where I would start

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I would shy away! You are very brave

Perspective lines/grids definitely help - a lot. I suspect that a lot of the artists who's images you have shown in your first comment on this thread used something like Sketchup to create the actual 3D model to export and work on in PS (or whatever software you use).

If I had to do one of these to save my life, that's where I would start
    I was thinking of using sketchuo - it will certainly help with 2 or 3 point persepective, though I wanted to try limit digital tools as much as possible (yes, the work is still digital, though I didn't want to use 3d software if at all possible) plus my knowledge of sketchup if pretty small, and I know an image that size will not be easy on my computer at all.

In light of this, I've realised that 2, not to mention 3-spoint perspective means too much fiddling around with lines so I've opted for Isometric - which makes it look a lot more simple and D&Dish, but it adds a lot more clarity to the map (the dar rooms will be as large as the near rooms with an iso perspective, which is impossible using 2 or 3 point perspective.

Here's my work on the map so far, with temporary colours to help me bot go crazy with all the lines. I;m pleased with the result and can already picture the finished thing.

Name:	filadelfia iso.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	2.26 MB 
ID:	100427

Then I take my hat off to you *bows deeply*

Very best of luck

(This might be of no consequence at all, but Sketchup can export images in isometric perspective as well as true perspective)

This is super cool. I'd think with the star wars one for sure they'd use a 3D model because they already had one (unless this was concept art that they developed to a full picture?). That city of waterfalls one is quite something and I'm always a fan of seeing the underlying line work that went into things. Two of those examples were not in perspective though, so I wouldn't worry about it too much (also as you pointed out, perspective tends to make things far less clear). You're off to a great start.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    (This might be of no consequence at all, but Sketchup can export images in isometric perspective as well as true perspective)
    Hmm... I have been known to change my mind though

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    This is super cool. I'd think with the star wars one for sure they'd use a 3D model because they already had one (unless this was concept art that they developed to a full picture?). That city of waterfalls one is quite something and I'm always a fan of seeing the underlying line work that went into things. Two of those examples were not in perspective though, so I wouldn't worry about it too much (also as you pointed out, perspective tends to make things far less clear). You're off to a great start.

I have all the Star Wars dross-section books, including the locations one. The older stuff is clearly hand-drawn, with will pics in the Complete vehicle book, which just makes them more impediment IMHO!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast