Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Community world building

Well I was thinking about that, I think that every dungeon would require at least one entrance, but not necessarily more. They could include a surface entrance or not. Everyone would have to include a common scale, which I guess (though it's a scale that bothers me to no end) would be 5 foot increments. Not sure it we should stick to a common pixel per increment or not, maybe Redrobes has requirements in that area, I imagine it would make things easier. I don't think there should be any size requirements for the dungeons, they could be as small as a single room or as large as a person wants. If there needs to be linking sections to make it work I'd volunteer to do them, but I'm sure we can find others also willing to do so.

I rather fancy having a go at a few variations on stairs. If you have a few different stair wells (with different numbers and angles of access) you could re-use them to link everything together.

If I made then with really long entrance corridors we (EDIT: we, meaning Red, could cut them up to act like hubs to join everything together)

Good idea? Bad idea?

Well the reason I figured a requirement of only one entrance was because some people might have six or whatever, not all six needs to be linked up (we could just say unexplored on those tunnels etc.) but at least one of them does have to connect to the rest of the complex. Meaning that if a person only uses on entrance he can be tagged onto a person with many entrances or linking tunnels (whatever they should be called). If there is a shortage of entrances we/I could make a linking piece to fix that. Alternatively we could have a concept of an underway (underground highway) that these attach to if there is an entrance shortage.

Edit: Whoops I think this is a reply to a different post. I'm confused. I think I answered your earlier post twice Mouse, sorry.

Edit 2: Reply to #32, Yeah that's the sort of idea I was thinking of Mouse.
    Last edited by Falconius; 11-14-2017 at 05:53 PM.

I was thinking of giving Red a fighting chance of coming out of this without a major headache by giving him a set of junction images he can stick in as appropriate - a sort of universal part.

Dungeons with only one entrance would be more difficult to accommodate, but there's no reason why there can't be a sort of never-ending corridor piece done as the set of parts given to Red to sort of... push-fit everything together like one of those confounded tents with about a million straight bits and ten handy plastic corner junctions?

Sort of neutral junction pieces a bit like this - really simple stuff that's not going to jar with other people's work by being too brightly coloured.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	575.9 KB 
ID:	101155 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled2.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	564.2 KB 
ID:	101156 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled3.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	595.6 KB 
ID:	101157
    Last edited by Mouse; 11-14-2017 at 06:24 PM.

I am in for the dungeon. Sooner or later we have to make a sewage system to our people there.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

I think this may be evolving separately from the City, Voolf, but there's no reason we can't also do an underground to Guild City as well - people could choose which project to donate their work to, or draw one specifically to fit under a certain building or set of buildings on one of the Guild maps...

before you two try to plan this out [Mouse and Falconius],
    we will have to let some more people weigh in on what they wanna do.

I have some sewers and underground started for the city of Guild,
    but I am not sure I will bring them into this thing, depending on how it plays out.
    Might just do new ones.

Sorry John

Got a bit carried away thinking out loud.

I have to go to bed soon with a nice hot toddy, so that's all from me tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Sorry John

Got a bit carried away thinking out loud.

I have to go to bed soon with a nice hot toddy, so that's all from me tonight
    No worries, I just want to let everyone weigh in.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    It looks like I missed the window of activity
    Everyone seems to have gone off, except you and me, Mouse.
    I'm still here! I'm always here, because I have no life, with the exception of about 3-5 central time when I have to pick up the hoodlums from school. And maybe when I'm cooking dinner, or some other domestic task.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I rather fancy having a go at a few variations on stairs. If you have a few different stair wells (with different numbers and angles of access) you could re-use them to link everything together.

If I made then with really long entrance corridors we (EDIT: we, meaning Red, could cut them up to act like hubs to join everything together)

Good idea? Bad idea?
    Some sort of connectors I think are a great idea. Straight ones, curved ones, T and Y junctions, split-level ones... that's all good stuff. Your example images are groovy.

A massive dungeon complex is a fabulous idea, IMO, but may take an immense ruleset to keep everything coordinated. However, if we could pull off some Undermountain style dungeon and get someone to write an adventure to go with it, we could distribute it on the DM's Guild with whatever proceeds going to support this site.

All that being said, a repository for a loose collection of subterranean encounter maps might also be something with merit. If they're all set to the same resolution and scale, you could puzzle them out like dungeon tiles with Mouse's connectors going any which way. If anyone's interested, we could distribute those maps on the DM's Guild as well.

All this is just me brainstorming and thinking while I type. I may re-read it all later and wonder just what in the H.E. Double Hockey-sticks I was thinking.

Alas, @J.Edward is the most correct in all of this: Gotta let more people weigh in. Can't do it all ourselves. Well, I guess we could, technically speaking, but it's hardly a community project with 5 people.

-IG

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast