Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Community world building

Blog Entries

No... i dont really care what pixels per feet units we use esp since I map in scaleless form anyway. The only time it needs to be fixed is at the zoomy map bit because the zoomy map is always 16384 pixels square. So its just a matter of how much real estate do we want to dig out of a mountain ? How big does the limits to the dungeon want to be and then 16384 / size in feet gives pixels per foot. If you want a map of about 400' square then you have 409.6 pixels per 10ft square (quite a lot IMO). If you want something like a mile square then your at 5760ft so thats 28.4 pixels per 10' (way too low IMO).

If you want to map something so that you put a desk down and put a pot of ink and a quill on the desk then how many pixels do you want to use to represent it. If you go for 1" per pixel then you have 120 pixels per 10' and so 1000' of map total. If you want more res like a pixel per 1/4 inch then you have 480 pixels per 10' so 340' square dungeon on the zoomy map.

If I were pinned to pick a value then I would say 200 pixels per 10' then thats a pixel every 0.6" and the overall map is 819' square or 81x81 10' square grid which is quite a lot esp if you map in 5' squares instead of caves of chaos 10' old school. Then your 8" quill is 13 pixels long and just enough to make out what it is. So the res will show up items on a desk reasonably well.

I think that Map Tool used to use 100 pixels per 5ft as a standard res but its not something that I have cared much about myself. If anyone can tell us what standard pixels per 5ft all the other VTTs used to use then it would be useful at this point. Lets be compatible if were able to and its no big deal not to be. Does CC3 have a standard scale ?
    Last edited by Redrobes; 11-15-2017 at 01:32 PM.

Guild Artisan

I am so confused. Pixels and inches, and ... I am in.

I had fun with the Caves of Chaos, so assuming it all comes together and makes sense to me, I would be willing to give it a go.

Blog Entries

Cool !

Kier - if you were making a map of a bit of dungeon then how many pixels per 10 foot square would you think suitable ?

I have been looking and I think battlegrounds RPG seems to have a zoom on it but maxes out at 122 pixels per unit and I think a unit is a 5ft square. I have no idea how they came up with that figure tho.

Hello Kier

Red - CC3 can export at any scale, because its a vector app and has no set resolution. I just wanted to know what kind of resolution to set for the exported jpg that I would give to you. I wasn't thinking about the limitations on the overall size of the entire dungeon.

I think everyone should think about how much space we want to map overall - like you say

Guild Artisan

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Cool !

Kier - if you were making a map of a bit of dungeon then how many pixels per 10 foot square would you think suitable ?

I have been looking and I think battlegrounds RPG seems to have a zoom on it but maxes out at 122 pixels per unit and I think a unit is a 5ft square. I have no idea how they came up with that figure tho.
    I don't know. I had never really done a battlemap or dungeon until my Caves of Chaos entry.

Blog Entries

Mouse: Yeah my app has no fixed res either. I dont care what res people give me the maps. I will stick down an origin on the grid somewhere and then scale the image to line up with the grid and its all done. The only time I ever have to think about it is at export time where I will export the screen at about 18000 pixels, crop out the square map, scale it to 16384x16384, chop it up into thousands of bits for leaflet to use with an app and then I upload a zip of that the guild server.

Its handy if peoples maps are about 2K square because then I can directly import them as icons. Otherwise I have to tile bigger images so that the tiles are < 2K each. I have an app for that too but its a bit of an unnecessary chore.

So to answer your question - just gimme something about 2K square and all will be just fine.

Kier: Was caves of chaos enough res or not or about right ?
    Caves of Chaos was 70 pixels per 5ft.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 11-15-2017 at 02:05 PM.

Guild Artisan

I just did a quick search. And read that 70 is normal, which I think Caves of Chaos was, but if you want more detail to go with 100pixels for a 5 ft section.

I thought 70 was a little low for finer details. I would lean towards a 100.

Blog Entries

Im gonna have to shoot off for a while but I thought 70 was a touch low myself and ill leave these figures here and people can comment.

16384 / 70 = 234 ft square map or a 5ft grid with 46 rows and cols.
    16384 / 100 = 163 ft square map or a 5ft grid with 32 rows and cols.

Sooo....

By Kier's recommendations for 100 px per 5', and Red's recommendations of maps no longer or wider than 2000 px in either direction, that's sort of like saying that the maximum size for any one map is 40x40 5' grid squares, or 200ft x 200ft. Is that right? Or have I got a serious maths problem in there somewhere (I won't be offended if you say so - I have to use a calculator for practically everything, since my 'aspie skill' is about colour, not numbers)?

Is that a big enough area for everyone?

Red - How many individual maps would you be able to fit on one zoomy map if we all decided to take the full 200ft square?

EDIT: I took too long trying to work it out, so you ninjad me, Red
    Last edited by Mouse; 11-15-2017 at 02:33 PM.

Don't forget there is a third dimension

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast