Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Community world building

Aaaaaarghghgh!

*Mouse gives up and runs away in a wiggly line, giggling hysterically*

Ok. Red - can you set up a new subforum for ... Dungeons? I guess.
    I am just going to get started once that is ready.
    We can talk all week. Jumping in will get the feet wet.

I plan to start a bit that will have several exits, so plenty to connect to.
    I may also connect to an outside area so we could shift from one underground to another.
    Had another idea for that too.... I am gonna make layers so one can go from a level up or down, and my own will match up so it might be easier to do those transitions... maybe.
    We'll see. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. But we'll be moving forward either way.

Edit - off to cycle for a bit and then I am doing dungeon mapping.
    Last edited by J.Edward; 11-15-2017 at 03:39 PM.

Excellent!

I still don't have a clue how big or what res, but I'll start one as well when the new forum is ready

I like the idea of different layers. Will the zoomy map be able to cope with different layers, or do you mean to let lower layers show in the gaps between rooms in the upper layers?

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Excellent!

I still don't have a clue how big or what res, but I'll start one as well when the new forum is ready

I like the idea of different layers. Will the zoomy map be able to cope with different layers, or do you mean to let lower layers show in the gaps between rooms in the upper layers?
    I think the different layers would just have to work like a link. Red can be more specific.
    I am not sure on res either, but I'm gonna start anyways.

Blog Entries

I can put as many links on a map as you can pack them in. So I can link to a) Threads with finished maps in them like in guild city, b) Link directly to the finished map images on the guild or c) link to a whole new zoomy map like I did with guild city from guildworld.

Start mapping and ill set up a Guild Dungeon forum thing like the others. As soon as thats up then you can post wips into it. The big picture / zoomy map will only come from finished bits of dungeon tho. If it gets too large then we can have 4 zoomy maps or ill work on it so that in effect we have 32K square map. We have never mapped all of one zoomy map yet tho. Guild World was probably the closest we got. Guild City still has a lot of holes in it.

Just remember to leave a few trailing 5' or 10' corridors hanging out of your map somewhere and we can think how to link them up.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    I can put as many links on a map as you can pack them in. So I can link to a) Threads with finished maps in them like in guild city, b) Link directly to the finished map images on the guild or c) link to a whole new zoomy map like I did with guild city from guildworld.

Start mapping and ill set up a Guild Dungeon forum thing like the others. As soon as thats up then you can post wips into it. The big picture / zoomy map will only come from finished bits of dungeon tho. If it gets too large then we can have 4 zoomy maps or ill work on it so that in effect we have 32K square map. We have never mapped all of one zoomy map yet tho. Guild World was probably the closest we got. Guild City still has a lot of holes in it.

Just remember to leave a few trailing 5' or 10' corridors hanging out of your map somewhere and we can think how to link them up.
    Thanks Red
    All of my exits/paths out-deeper will be like that.

Edit - Maybe before the year is out I can grab another city section and do some ruins and such

I'll be returning to Guild City after I've done a dungeon (which I'm hoping won't take all that long in fact), and before I do anything else

If I give you an image that's 2000 px square and 100 px per 5 ft grid square, is that the right sort of size, or am I completely up the creek without a paddle?

EDIT: Ninjad by John!
    Last edited by Mouse; 11-15-2017 at 04:44 PM.

Hey Red - I just realized I never updated my City section with a finished map.
    Just did that here - https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...l=1#post358906
    That also has my Finished Chiezbehrg map thread in there.

Blog Entries

I have started a new Guild Dungeon Forum so put the WIPs and the finished bits of dungeon in there. You know how we had some prefixes that we used on the guild world, ill see if I can set up a list where we have WIP and Finished. I cant recall if people can modify those themselves or whether they need to request it. Just assume all are WIPs for the mo. Keep putting a WIP tag on them but I am not sure if it makes sense to have a thumbs page for them. But we can always add one later on.

I must get around to checking the guild city and making sure its all updated. I'll put your final section map in J and have a check over it again.

And yes, something approx 2000 pix square map with 100 pixels per 5 ft square should be ideal. It doesnt have to be exact.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    I have started a new Guild Dungeon Forum so put the WIPs and the finished bits of dungeon in there. You know how we had some prefixes that we used on the guild world, ill see if I can set up a list where we have WIP and Finished. I cant recall if people can modify those themselves or whether they need to request it. Just assume all are WIPs for the mo. Keep putting a WIP tag on them but I am not sure if it makes sense to have a thumbs page for them. But we can always add one later on.

I must get around to checking the guild city and making sure its all updated. I'll put your final section map in J and have a check over it again.

And yes, something approx 2000 pix square map with 100 pixels per 5 ft square should be ideal. It doesnt have to be exact.
    I need to get a few people to add the wip tag... or maybe I'll just add it for them.
    I don't know if people would be put off by me doing that. I know some sort of stopped using the latest wip tag.

I think people are able to select the prefix themselves.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast