Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Isle of Ban

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Splendid map, Jo! It would have been a very strong contender.
    It just look like a true nautical chart map to me, so yes, a true cartographer's work, no doubt .
    Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Fantastic! Your knowledge of nautical navigational information far surpasses my own. My hat is off to you sir.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thanks, both of you...

As I said, I don’t deserve much credit, as I had a couple of marine Chart in front of me during the challenge... I had to adapt what I saw to give an "ancient" aspect, but I didn’t had to go far to find the ideas...

Quote Originally Posted by mat_r View Post
    Oh yes, I love that technical stuff! Lovely choice of colors, too, I am impressed
    The only part that confuses me a bit, to be honest, are the upside down bits below the top border. It looks like upside down hills in the water. Can you explain?
    Thanks !
    I know it looks strange, but if you’re using this Chart to enter the port of Ban, then you would have turned the chart upside down, because your ship is going south, down the map, and so you would have the lighthouses in the right position, the coastlines too, etc. So, the perspective view would have been right for your eyes : you would have the technical details in front of you (so, the lighthouse that was right of the channel's entrance, would be at your right on the map) and you would have the mountains, Hill, etc. representation as it would appear in front of your ship.

I don’t know if I'm clear in my explanation... maybe this way : when I use a real map in the wilderness, I always turn the map in my hands... sometime to orient the north of the map with the true north, sometime to have the dinstinctive points of the map (mountain, house, etc) in the same direction that I'm looking...
    That's the same way with this marine Chart...

And, as a Matter of fact, I copied that idea on one of the marine Chart that I have home :
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9555C56A-BC74-478B-A1EE-9AA2DBBEDDC6.jpeg 
Views:	42 
Size:	513.9 KB 
ID:	101306

Tell me if I'm not clear... I'll try to explain that better (with something else than my poor English...)

Oh no, you are very clear. That makes perfect sense, thank you!
    Cartography by Matthias Rothenaicher. Portfolio: Website | DeviantArt

*Throws rep* Just take it...
    "That sounds... incredibly complicated, but there's no doubt the result is fantastic." /Diamond

Awesome map Jo,

I know it's ages since this thread was live, but I had to mention that I spotted this....

Name:	melville-ban islands.png 
Views:	47 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	103947

I couldn't find the original challenge thread, so have no idea whether the origin of the island shapes was mentioned, but just by pure coincidence happened to be looking at Melville Island, and came across this in the Atlas nominations at about the same time...

Much prefer your version over any published map of Melville Island through...

T

Hi ! Thanks a lot for your comment.
    Actually, there were 4 islands shape proposed for this challenge, and the organisator of this challenge explained that he inspired himself after four existing islands. I'll try to find the post for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonquani View Post
    Awesome map Jo,

I know it's ages since this thread was live, but I had to mention that I spotted this....

Name:	melville-ban islands.png 
Views:	47 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	103947

I couldn't find the original challenge thread, so have no idea whether the origin of the island shapes was mentioned, but just by pure coincidence happened to be looking at Melville Island, and came across this in the Atlas nominations at about the same time...

Much prefer your version over any published map of Melville Island through...

T
    You can find the thread here.

Redrobes spotted the islands, and Bogie (who organized the challenge) explained around post Nr 12...

I checked Melville island and you're right... it's the one ! You have a good eye !

Thanks for that Jo,

Unfortunately I didn't join the Guild until after that particular challenge - would have loved to participate...

Cheers

T

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12