Thread: Need Campaign Map for 5E Setting

Question Need Campaign Map for 5E Setting

Closed/ Cartographer found. Thanks everyone.

Greetings Cartographers!

I need some help. Looking for a passionate cartographer to create a D&D Campaign setting maps (this is a world map, using the planet Mars as a template for the topography) for print and digital format. Mars template to use to create map: https://www.gearthblog.com/blog/arch...eans-mars.html Setting is using a variant of 5E D&D rules. I do have mapping software (Campaign Cartographer and Worldgrpaher) but don't have the time. Actually, I would prefer to collaborate with someone who can bring their own ideas. This would be the first in a series of maps. Each will be paid.

Style
    I am looking for a map in the following style - http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-a7z2tJJqtp...sOfMystery.jpg or alternaitvely https://i.pinimg.com/736x/98/3b/59/9...ntasy-city.jpg

Quality & Size
    1. Professional
    2. Use will be both print/web
    3. Dimensions of map: 300 DPI, full color, 2400 x 3000 pixels, Raster

Time Constraints: December 2nd 2017.

Copyright

I would like full ownership, copyright and full reproduction rights to the map
    I will have the right to use the image for commercial purposes, the artist will have the right to exhibit the image as part of his portfolio but not to exploit it for commercial gain.

Payment can be via PayPal. Price is negotiable. Expecting to pay around $120 USD for World Map.With more work to follow. Please do not take this project if you are not open to do future paid work in the same Campaign setting.

Contact Details
    lordjerith--at--gmail.com
    (remove the -- and convert "at" to @)
    Last edited by LordJerith; 11-19-2017 at 01:13 AM. Reason: Closed

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

*senses a disturbance in the force, tracks it to this thread*

Hello, Lord Jerith, and welcome to the Guild!

While this seems like an interesting project I fear your budget does not match the demanded features requested by you. Let me take a look at it from an experienced cartographer's perspective to explain the problems to you. Please don't take this as a personal attack; you're far from the first person to come here with somewhat unrealistic expectations, and I hope what I lay out down below help you understand the problems.

Here we go:
    -- Ordinary detailed colored maps take even experienced cartographers up to 20 hours of work, depending on the size and individually required level of detail even far in excess of that (my largest map job took me ~50h). In your case that would mean a cartographer would work for the equivalent of $6/h (probably far less, given the design process), which is below the minimum wage in many of our cartographers' countries of origin. Naturally I cannot speak for every cartographer on this site, but generally it is safe to calculate with an hourly rate that's well above twice that much.
    -- Since you want the full commerical rights for the map, expect a surcharge.
    -- Many a cartographer here will be uncomfortable with the whole "[a]ctually, I would prefer to collaborate with someone who can bring their own ideas"-thing. In practice that's shown to be an uncalculable time sink. And time is money. *shrugs*
    -- Following from the prior bullet point, two weeks is a tough schedule, especially given the collaborative design approach you do prefer.

This service announcement was brought to you by Wired, who doesn't seem to do anything else in this subforum as of late.

Quote Originally Posted by Wired View Post
    *senses a disturbance in the force, tracks it to this thread*

Hello, Lord Jerith, and welcome to the Guild!

While this seems like an interesting project I fear your budget does not match the demanded features requested by you. Let me take a look at it from an experienced cartographer's perspective to explain the problems to you. Please don't take this as a personal attack; you're far from the first person to come here with somewhat unrealistic expectations, and I hope what I lay out down below help you understand the problems.

Here we go:
    -- Ordinary detailed colored maps take even experienced cartographers up to 20 hours of work, depending on the size and individually required level of detail even far in excess of that (my largest map job took me ~50h). In your case that would mean a cartographer would work for the equivalent of $6/h (probably far less, given the design process), which is below the minimum wage in many of our cartographers' countries of origin. Naturally I cannot speak for every cartographer on this site, but generally it is safe to calculate with an hourly rate that's well above twice that much.
    -- Since you want the full commerical rights for the map, expect a surcharge.
    -- Many a cartographer here will be uncomfortable with the whole "[a]ctually, I would prefer to collaborate with someone who can bring their own ideas"-thing. In practice that's shown to be an uncalculable time sink. And time is money. *shrugs*
    -- Following from the prior bullet point, two weeks is a tough schedule, especially given the collaborative design approach you do prefer.

This service announcement was brought to you by Wired, who doesn't seem to do anything else in this subforum as of late.
    No offense taken. I don't take this as personal attack at all. I appreciate the feedback. A few thoughts:

1. Price is negotiable based on quality of the portfolio.
    2. Surcharge falls under the negotiable price
    3. I want someone who feels like adding their own input. If that makes people uncomfortable, that's fine. I work my way, you work your way. :-) Now, if that reads as "this person doesn't have a a clear vision and does not know what he wants" then please let me assure you that I do. If that didn't come across in the post, I'll gladly add more.
    4. -2 weeks is a tough schedule, I agree.

Two people have reached out to my personal e-mail, so if no one else reaches out, I will work with them. Will decide tomorrow who I will work with. (closing at 9PM GMT +2).

Thanks again for your feedback.

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Best of luck to you with the project, LJ.

Blog Entries

i have this old blue mars texture i made many years ago

it can be used as a base image -- it is under the CC-by sa license
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

Default Hired

Found the right person, thanks. Much appreciated.