Thread: Lighthouse of Dust WIP

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Wip Lighthouse of Dust WIP

WIP for a city in a novel

I plan to have the main Lighthouse on the center of the island with concentric bands of houses and a series of walls circling the eastern and western sides of the island, and two roads leading out to harbors in the north and south.

Added roads and the plaza areas. May rework the color scheme later, but right now I like the look of the stone roads.
    Need to add details to the bridge connecting the island to the main continent in the east.

My plan is to have dirt roads and boards running from the south plaza to the docks in the peninsula, and in the north have residences. The central plaza will be taken up by the Lighthouse. Still need to decide where the palace and the noble quarters are, I am considering the western edge of the island, with balconies then overlooking the Andalyn Sea, but I will need to rework my current plans for the City wall.

I'm entertaining the idea of creating a curtain wall to the circle, surrounding the island in the region surrounding the western plaza. I will need to move or shrink the western plaza to hold the Nobility and Palace which will require a rework of the roads.

Added Elevation and Coastline, the western plaza will become the Palace estates, with noble quarters along the cliff face to the north and south. The western area will be encircled by a curtain wall.

Looking pretty good so far Evandros. It would be nice to see a higher res image though.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

I can't seem to get the thumbnail here any larger. The map itself is 998x1150. Added the major roads, and the walls of the city. Moved the Central Plaza and the roads to accommodate.

Hello Evandros

Your map isn't that large by average standards. I've done maps that are nearly ten times those dimensions in the past. What happens when larger maps are uploaded is that the thumbnail becomes a clickable link to the full size image. For example if you were to enlarge your map by a scale factor of 4 you would have a normal small sized thumbnail, and clicking it would open the full 3992 x 4600 map

The other advantage to making bigger maps is that you are less likely to end up with pixilation becoming a problem with fine lines

The upload limit is 9.4 MB, which is more than enough to allow you to upload it as 4 x its current scale if you use a very slightly compressed .jpg file. I recommend no more than 10% compression (which in most software like GIMP is represented as "90%" during the save operation for some reason).

The thumbnail is just a preview, size doesn't matter here.
    One of you file is just 11,46 Ko, that's the size of an icon.

What software are you using?

I love this. The way you use roads is really cool, and helpful for my own map.

I increased the resolution, immediately pixelating the old walls and roads. It made no sense to have a wall cutting off the harbor of an island. I plan to fill the darkened area of the island in with a small lake and a few streams and the smaller paths through these features.

Thank you Arsheesh, Mouse and Azelor for helping me improve my mapping. Azelor I'm using GIMP. Bleanord thank you, I'm looking forward to seeing what you do.
    Last edited by Evandros; 12-11-2017 at 03:26 AM.