Thread: A map that tells stories

Default A map that tells stories

// Since I heard from Francesca already (see artist from my examples) I will put this request on hold for now//

Hello fellow world-building aficionados,

my name is Simon and I turn to you in a time of great need. So I’m working on this worldbuilding project since summer and am now at a point where a lot of lore and culture is established. What I lack now is all sorts of imagery, but primarily a solid version of the world map, including lots of decorations and lore around it (because I love it). Just up front here are a few examples on what direction I want to go for (which i just realized are all of the same artist >.<):

https://francescabaerald.deviantart....-Map-672709381
    Like this for the fillings, not so much the slightly comicbook-ish art style. It just explodes with things to discover, tells whole tales just with imagery and symbolism. That’s where I wanna go.

https://francescabaerald.deviantart....ings-642266670
    I like this one especially for the style and colors. Take this old papyrus style as a base, but add some very slight red and blue and green into the mix. Keep it low contrast except text and some very key, dark elements.

https://francescabaerald.deviantart....-Map-645793455

My map
    Now, I have a pretty good understanding on what I want to display on my map, but I’m happy to recieve any input of you guys, the experts, on how to make it even better, especially in terms of how to distribute all the things on the map. So here we go:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	themap.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	182.0 KB 
ID:	102080
    Yes, it is in fact upside down Europe. No, you’re not the only one that noticed The whole world is heavily influenced by medieval/dark ages Europe, but using different events and characters in history to touch on certain cultural, political and religious concepts.

• The map itself can just roughly follow my fuzzy outlines.
      • White is mountains, grey is hills / hilly regions, green are forests, rivers are, well obvious
      • Additionally, feel absolutely free to add any more hills or forests or rivers where you see fit if needed.
      • If it fits the style, add some roads between the bigger cities/places.
      • As fillers, also depict random small scenes or symbols
        • Like a signpost or an abandoned cart or some buildings or ruins, some random landmark, whatever fits.

• The name “The Realms” should be prominent on top.
      • Behind it the red circle should be a compass rose

• The blue frame contains either patterns or text
      • If text, just make up some random Latin words. If needed, I can provide this. (Since my language is still heavy work in progress, I’m happy with just made up stuff for now.)

• The light blue crests are heavily leaned on real medieval crests. So when I talk about griffins or lions and such, take actual historical symbolics and not zoolocical ones. The crests contain the following:
      • 1. Top half is a bird facing right, holding a scroll. Bottom half is a bird facing left, holding a key (one is dark on light, other is light on dark).
        • Text is “The Guilds”

• 2. Dark cross (+) on light background. In the center is a two headed griffin, wings spread.
        • Text is “The Justiciars”

• 3. Top half is a dark crown on light background, bottom half are three light towers on dark background.
        • Text is “The Imperium”

• 4. Background is checked, symbol is a lily framed by wreath of leaves.
        • Text is “The Conclave”

• 5. Dark border, light background. Symbol is a boar head pierced by an arrow.
        • Text is “The Free Folk”

• 6. Split diagonally with a thick light bar on black background. There is three crescents on the bar,or three eyes. (actually not quite sure about this one, maybe leave it for now and add it last )
        • Text is “The Watchers”

• These are just the actual symbols. Feel free to come up with any decorations and such around the crests.

• The background that fills in both top corners should diplay the following:
      • Storms, unnatural weathers (hurricanes, lightnings, blizzards, dark clouds and what not) and ruined buildings, like some kind of apocalypse. Can even add two “godlilke” characters casting this weather in the very corners.

• Towards the center of the left and right border should be families/people trying to flee from the weather, some dying. It should depict chaos and misery and ruin.
      • “People” can be humans, but could also be some Dwarfs (not Tolkien Dwarfs, but small, 5 foot tall, bulky humans more or less. Don’t need to have beards, don’t need to have axes.

• In the bottom left corner the running people should transition over into people around a campfire. They should seem hopeless/homeless. Some can be slightly armed, like some poor farmers turned militia. There should be children and Mothers. One of these people despicts a legend, so make him clearly stand out from the rest:
      • He is male, around 30, has a thick beard and a sickle. He distributes food to the others. He wears a Boar or Bear pelt over his shoulders.

• On the bottom right corner, transition the people into corpses/skeletons maybe. Add some graves, some tombs, maybe some religious symbols or buildings. Same as the left side add this specific character:
      • Older female, fully hooded with a long simple robe, kneeling over a grave or corpse. One hand holds a lantern or cencer or so, while the other holds a curved dagger. There is some unknown text/characters, arranged in a circle, behind her/her head (similar to the big, blue border around the map)

• In the bottom center, make these two scenes blend together with some patterns, maybe some fire or fiery symbols. In the very center, add three burning crosses, like on a hill or something.
    • As filler for wherever it is needed, just add random elements and components from medieval times, like symbols, buildings, armor and weaponery, etc.

With all that said, feel free - again - to improvise and add decorative things as you see fit. Keep in mind however, that the world really only has a slight fantasy component, so if you branch out and depict fantastic elements, do it in a way that mimics the “fables and legends” that were told in our real medieval world.

Pay me, minion!
    Now let’s talk money. This project is a private project of mine and I do not yet have a set plan as for what medium it is gonna be published/used in. Might be a book, might be a game.
    I am however able and willing to pay. I’d rather pay more for a high quality, hand made map than just some photoshop-filter-fiesta. I don’t have a good understanding of a price range for such a map (see examples above for quality reference). If you feel up to the task to create a high quality map, feel free to propose a price. Since this is - for now - a non commercial project, I’d say my budget is around $400. I’m open for negotiation however.

Delivery and dealine
    The finished map should be high resolution, it might be used for print. I suppose any size bigger than 2500x2500 pixels will be fine. As I said I don’t have any project for which this map in particular is needed, so I am not pressing for any deadline. I’d be glad however if the map could be finished within a month or so after taking the assignment. What I expect is that you as the artist keep me updated through out the designing process so I can give constant feedback. I’d hate if the finished map turns out to be something I wouldn’t really be happy with, no matter the actual quality

With all that said, I’m looking forward to any response from you talented guys. I’m confident this is gonna turn out awesome!
    Simon

Last edited by almostSimon; 12-07-2017 at 12:53 PM.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Hi Simon and welcome to the Guild!

My suggestion would be to get in contact with Francesca since all the maps you referenced are hers!

I've linked her deviantart account here which has her contact details on it.

Hey Greg,

yea, I messaged her earlier. Hope for a response from her as well
    Anyways, that it is the same artist is more or less coincidence. I'm sure there are other talented people out there who can achieve a similar map style while adding their own touch.

Maybe I'll post some more examples from other artists later.

Simon

Hey Simon,

Francesca is a great artist and her work would certainly fit your project. If, for whatever reasons, you decide not to work with her I'd like to let you k ow that I am also interested in this project. You can have a look at my portfolio at danielhasenbos.deviantart.com to get an impression of my work. If you are interested you can email me at info [at] danielsmaps [dot] com.

Best wishes,
    Daniel

As Greg and Daniel said, this job is especially for Francesca, she specialize in those kind of elabortate and inctricate borders and illustrations. I may be wrong, but i think she is the only one (in the guild) who can make them so beautifully, so definately contact with her.

If for some reason you will look for somebody else i could also be interested. My portfolio is here.

Cheers
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Ferrol, Coruña, Spain, Earth, Solar System

Hey almostSimon,

I could be interested in the project. Here you have some samples of my latest works::

Let me know if you are interested in my services. You can reach me at: info -at- versakestudio -dot- com

Regards,

Antonio Frade

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected

Hello,
    In case check my website to see my artworks:
    www.andreaalemanno.com