Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Warning about HP Laptops - incompatibility with Win 10 Creators Update

Do you know that if you ask Redrobes really nicely he might be able to put that right for you?

Purely selfish reasons for suggesting it. Its hard remembering to keep going back and make sure I've taken all the 'o's out!

Mouse,

I have to admit I've never tried to install Linux on a memory stick/thumb drive, although I have experience installing Scientific Linux in a VM on my Windows 7 computer.

"To first approximation", there shouldn't be anything special: it's just a small disk that's happens to be connected to your computer by USB.

Searching Web... Here's a preliminary discussion about installing Mint on a 32GB stick:
    https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=205310

It looks like the novice in that thread just stopped asking questions, although the expert who was trying to help had done it many times.

AHA! Here's a silent video created earlier this year showing how to do it. Instructions appear in a text window. Its author recommends using a 32GB stick, though.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NHWpi7cQxQ

He's running from a Live Mint USB stick, creating a full Mint USB stick on a computer that has Windows on an internal hard drive. That sounds familiar
    Selden

Oh thank you!

I shall have to break out the popcorn to watch all these videos.

Thank you very much everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by ladiestorm View Post
    I've actually been thinking about checking into removing Windows 10 from my laptop and installing XP, or 7.
    I'd strongly urge you not to install Windows XP. It's no longer supported and updated by Microsoft, and there are a number of malware programs that slip through XP's holes these days. With the amount of Internet activity that you do, that's playing with fire.

Windows 7 was a good Windows version. It's a better choice. But before you do that, ask yourself if you know how to install Windows 7 with all of the necessary HP drivers, etc. If not, you may end up being sorry that you ever considered switching OSs.

I admit, I DO NOT like Windows 10... the OS is so big, it's slow on general principles. I will keep this in mind when the next OS comes out... because if your HP isn't compatible with Windows 10, mine will probably be incompatible with the next Microsoft Program that comes out.
    It isn't a question of new Microsoft programs but rather of Windows updates. See earlier entries in this thread on how to disable automatic Windows updating. I don't remember how much RAM you have, but upgrading your memory will help with speed if you're using 64-bit programs. It won't help you with 32-bit CC3+.

Also see earlier postings in this thread regarding disabling possibly unnecessary HP utilities that you may never use. These things can swallow a lot of memory. Another thing that doesn't help is keeping your Internet browser open in the background when you're working on something else. Browsers swallow a big chunk of memory.

If you don't like Windows 10 and you want to install Windows 7, go right ahead, but if you're doing that mostly for speed's sake, keep in mind that Windows 7 is slower than Windows 10.

Servus,
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

I agree with Mark, Storm

One of the reasons I'm not going down the road of re-installing Windows 8.1 is because of all the horrible things that can go wrong - even though my machine came with it preinstalled.

For a start you have to reinstall ALL your apps, and that's everything, not just CC3 and its add ons, but every little thing you've grabbed online or bought and may have lost the disc to since you got the machine.

And that's only if it goes right

I'd rather risk partitioning my disk and adding a more efficient OS to run the apps I need that aren't working very well with Win 10.

You didn't say if it was taking you half an hour to save a file, or if your apps were freezing and crashing unexpectedly, or if Win 10 was shutting other apps down around you without your permission when you were doing something a bit thirsty on RAM in GIMP or whatever. Unless these things are actually happening to you, I'd leave it all well alone for now.

Like I said - its not ALL HP Laptops. Only some of them. I just happen to be unlucky in that I own one that's affected. If you go back to the first comment I made in this thread there is a link to a page that lists the models that are certified as 'compatible'. Even if your machine doesn't appear on that list, if you aren't having any of these problems then you are still probably ok.

I have to go out this morning, so I don't have time to look back through the thread for this, but there may be a telemetry app of HP's that you can start by uninstalling, since it swallows nearly a GB of RAM for no benefit to the user at all. We discussed it a few pages back, and I uninstalled it. No harm done - more RAM restored to me, the rightful owner of that RAM.

Bad news, I'm afraid.

It failed to install properly.

I've just lost 32GB of my hard drive, and I'm still stuck trying to make a map in Krita on a system that can't cope with it.

Anyone know how I might reclaim that lost partition - even though Windows can't see it?

Going to get some sleep now...

I know there are Linux reader software to read the Linux partition available but i don't remember which one I used in the past.

How did it fail to install? What is it saying? Are there any errors it's throwing up?

I went all the way through without a hitch. When I got to the very last bit and hit 'restart', I think I must have pulled the boot stick out a couple of seconds too fast... or something. I really don't know.

When I boot I just get windows.

I'm not really interested in making it work - only in getting rid of it.

Would a complete reinstall of Win 8.1 solve the problem, or would the partition still be there?

OK.

(I've edited this comment three times btw)

I've found out how to remove a partition

I wouldn't recommend using it unless you know exactly which partition is which. Fortunately for me I know exactly how big I made the partition, and I can see that there are actually 2 partitions, which, when the GB are added together make up that exact same size. It seems that when you install Mint 'alongside Windows' it actually generates not one, but two partitions.
    Last edited by Mouse; 12-16-2017 at 05:27 AM.

Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast