Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Warning about HP Laptops - incompatibility with Win 10 Creators Update

I have such knowledgeable friends

And you're right, ChickPea - I'm not really understanding all that much right now. A new-to-me idea needs a day or two to take root in my thoughts before I properly get to grips with it

EDIT: Ilanthar, if the machine you are thinking of possibly converting is your old HP Pavilion that started having problems like mine, then the chances are that whatever problems you are having when you look at trying Linux will also affect me, so I would be very interested in hearing about it - if that's what you're doing
    Last edited by Mouse; 12-10-2017 at 12:47 PM.

Didn't you say your laptop was originally 8.1 Mouse? I think the Secure Boot version that shipped with Windows 8 can be disabled quite easily.

Yes it was. And thanks - that's reassuring to know.

I'm going to watch a few of those videos, and then see about creating a bootable stick like you suggested before, so I can try it and see if it works with my hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by Straf View Post
    Have a look at Anbox. Is that the sort of thing you were looking for?
    It wasn't for me... I was asking for a friend, yeah, for a friend.
    Hehe. I have too much money tide up in commercial software to go Linux myself, I'm afraid.
    I have run a few versions over the years on a few old pcs. I liked it.
    I'd use it if I could use all the costly software I have.

I may have to at some point, as I am unwilling to allow an OS to tell me when and what to update, as win10 does.
    I am equal opportunity though -
    there are things I like about all the OSes, and things I hate about all of them.
    And particularly with the corporate entities. Nuff said.

Thanks for the link though, as I hadn't run into that before.

@ ChickPea : Well, I'm pretty sure I disabled the secure boot. I have 2 problems : I need to borrow a wired keyboard to access the bios setup AND when I'm here, I change the boot order for my USB Key with Ubuntu, but nothing happens, it keep loading Windows...
    But I'm gonna have a look on your link in case I miss something, so thanks for that. Plus, I'm gonna call someone that knows better than me, so it should be solved sooner or later.

@Mouse : sorry but no, I intend to install a dual boot Win/Linux on my new computer.

Edit : sniped by J.Ed ! Well, I'm keeping Windows for some softwares too... And intend to use Linux for the rest.

Why won't some software publishers allow you to transfer licenses between OS's?

Which ones are they (if anyone happens to know)?

I don't use PS or Corel.

EDIT: You ninja'd me, Ilanthar!

I have a bit of a thing about cool keyboards - being a touch typist. The irony here is that I have no less than 5 different fully functional wired keyboards. If only we lived close enough I could loan you a couple!
    Last edited by Mouse; 12-10-2017 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    It wasn't for me... I was asking for a friend, yeah, for a friend.
    Hehe. I have too much money tide up in commercial software to go Linux myself, I'm afraid.
    I have run a few versions over the years on a few old pcs. I liked it.
    I'd use it if I could use all the costly software I have.

I may have to at some point, as I am unwilling to allow an OS to tell me when and what to update, as win10 does.
    I am equal opportunity though -
    there are things I like about all the OSes, and things I hate about all of them.
    And particularly with the corporate entities. Nuff said.

Thanks for the link though, as I hadn't run into that before.
    Nee bother bonny lad There's Android Studio as well but I can't remember if it emulates various devices or not. I've always plugged my device in to run apps I've written. (I haven't got any further than getting my phone to tell me to eff off.) I don't know if it will run apps from the Play Store - that's the other thing, being able to download from the Play Store. I'm assuming Anbox does that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Why won't some software publishers allow you to transfer licenses between OS's?

Which ones are they (if anyone happens to know)?

I don't use PS or Corel.
    It's purely down to £££ Mouse. I was once buying a laptop from one of the Dixons Group of shops and the assistant was trying the hard sell on all the various garbage they try to pile on you. I kept refusing and when he got to Office I said I already have it. He said "It's non-transferable so you can't install it on this" I looked him in the eye and just said "You're going to try to stop me are you?" The look on his face Anyway eventually he got the message that I wasn't interested in any of the other stuff. It comes bundled with enough crap as it is.

Anyway some software licences do transfer but I don't have that much proprietary software. In fact I have none at all that I use these days so I don't know what licences will transfer. Oh I have XChat for Windows, but it doesn't require a paid for licence for Linux. I use Libre Office for word processing, spreadsheets and presentations. R or PSPP for statistics when I need it but I haven't had to analyse any large datasets for a number of years. There seem to be open source alternatives for a lot of software.

That's interesting. Thank you!

I've just been reading about Ubuntu, and was really pleased to find a list of familiar apps - including GIMP and Krita. I did however notice that the version of Krita was 2.6.2, which never worked very well. Is it like that for all the apps? I mean - are they all a few versions behind what you can use in Windows?

If the company sells versions of the same software for a different OS they will often charge a fee for opening it up on more than one OS. For instance 3D Coat has a package for all three, Windows, Mac, and Linux, and they charge another 40 bucks to add another OS to your key. Pixologic makes Zbrush for both Mac and PC, they charge half price to gain a second license for a different OS (ie 400 bucks (ie holy hell just buy another computer instead )). Zbrush, though I don't even own a full version of it, is the reason I want to stick to Windows (since it is something I'm am working towards owning). I'd say if there is no program tying you to an OS, then go for the LINUX version and get familiar with it. As far as I'm aware all the major open source programs like Krita or Blender, have a Linux version.

Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast