Thread: Kaldrtrop

Default Kaldrtrop

I'm not sure if this entirely a WIP or not. Basically I've been messing around with some free asset packs just to see what I could make with them. Here is what I have so far, it's supposed to be a small fishing village that could easily be on the coast, a lake or a river.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	testing assets3.png 
Views:	296 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	102248

I used the taverns and forest assets from Venatus Maps here and the forts and castle assets pack from Blue Sword Games here

Hand drawing stuff is beyond me so it's pretty cool to have some free stuff like this to use. If anyone knows of anything else similar out there I'd love more to use!

Right now I'm thinking about what sort of details I want to add to the map. There is an area inside the walls I've left for an animal enclosure and I might put some blacksmith's tools outside one of the village huts. Any other suggestions are gratefully received.

What software are you using? Which graphical formats are supported?
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Oliva View Post
    What software are you using? Which graphical formats are supported?
    I'm using gimp, the assets are all .png files so I think you should be able to use them in pretty much anything right?

Here is an update with a bunch of "clutter" added, hopefully it brings the village to life. If anyone has any suggestions on what would be good additions or things the village might missing I'd love to hear them.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	testing assets4.png 
Views:	85 
Size:	2.97 MB 
ID:	102424

In general I do like your style. There is just one thing that bothers me... All the houses, everything, it's all the same size, the same form... there is not a single variation in there, and I just... don't think that's very realistic? Actually I looked at it a few times now and I realized the first time that something was bothering me, but I only realized now what it was. Also: Are the big wooden rectangular things buildings too? Because I am honestly not sure about what exactly they are :O I love your style on the bushes and the grass and everything though. It's the buildings that bother me. Your textures are lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoraSpringer View Post
    Are the big wooden rectangular things buildings too? Because I am honestly not sure about what exactly they are.
    I think those are fields- they don't have shadows like the huts do. But the fields aren't following the contours, so it looks odd, like it was supposed to be a roof. He needs to let the contour shading affect the fields, is all.
    My decade-long worldbuilding project: https://cartographersguild.com/showt...=25569&page=10

Quote Originally Posted by acrosome View Post
    I think those are fields- they don't have shadows like the huts do. But the fields aren't following the contours, so it looks odd, like it was supposed to be a roof. He needs to let the contour shading affect the fields, is all.
    Huh... yeah that might be :O I think though what makes them odd is that fields usually are not perfectly rectangular. They have spaces where grass might be creeping in or something and sometimes - often times - they are not rectangular at all, but have all sorts of "weirder" forms. Maybe that's why it was not clear to me.

Huh... yeah that might be :O I think though what makes them odd is that fields usually are not perfectly rectangular. They have spaces where grass might be creeping in or something and sometimes - often times - they are not rectangular at all, but have all sorts of "weirder" forms. Maybe that's why it was not clear to me.
    Well, yeah, any farmer worth his salt plows following the contours.
    My decade-long worldbuilding project: https://cartographersguild.com/showt...=25569&page=10

In general I do like your style.
    Thanks but it's not really my style. Like I said in the original post I'm mostly just putting together pre-existing assets others have made.

I've done a rework on the fields so hopefully they bring through the shadows and highlights that match the rest of the land.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	testing assets6.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	3.17 MB 
ID:	102552

The docks were really missing some sort of boats. I went back to the Blue Sword Games Patreon and found what was supposed to be a free sand speeder type thing which I think will work for fishing boats.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	testing assets7.png 
Views:	43 
Size:	3.19 MB 
ID:	102920