Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Failed commissions

Default Failed commissions

Did you ever fail a commission request by a client because it was too particular, too strange or beyond your skill?
    What you did in that case?

Tell the client immediately when it becomes apparent that there is a problem! Discuss what you can do for them. See how (or if) they want to proceed.
    This is the general process for any kind of failure to deliver.

I need an incentive to practice stuff (ADHD), so I taught myself mapmaking by getting clients. This is how I acquired 80% of my skills and never found myself stuck or criticised. Maybe I got lucky (I only had one or two unpleasant experiences), but nothing bad ever happened. Did I feel confident with each of my projects though? Hell no.
    My website (commissions open)
    My LinkTree (to find me everywhere)

No, can't say I did. I always make sure to discuss the particulars of what the client is looking for in detail before I even agree to a commission, let alone actually start drawing anything. Something that I've learned over the years is to spend more time in the sketching phase, so before I spend too much time on the map, I'll put together a quick draft that has everything the final map will also have - a quick messy sketch of the drawing itself, labels, placeholders for things like borders and other decorations, etc. That way I have something very concrete to show them and say "okay, this is what the final piece will include, are you happy with this?" and make sure that we're both on the same page on what they are expecting me to do.

If the client ever was to request something else that was too difficult or weird halfway through the process, I would simply a) point out that that wasn't what we agreed upon, and b) give them a proper explanation of why I'm not able to do what they requested. Can't say that has ever happened, though.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

What do you mean by failed commission? Having to cancel a work in progress or having to decline a piece?
    I do a lot of character commissions and in the early days I ran into a few issues here and there. Most of them were resolved by having a thorough terms of service listing and pricing. As far as cancelling a work in progress I've never experienced that but I have cut ties with clients over the years for being extremely picky or requesting a multitude of changes that weren't stated with the initial request. It's tough sometimes but its important to approach any issues with respect and a level head.

Quote Originally Posted by Glacial Visions View Post
    What do you mean by failed commission? Having to cancel a work in progress or having to decline a piece?
    I do a lot of character commissions and in the early days I ran into a few issues here and there. Most of them were resolved by having a thorough terms of service listing and pricing. As far as cancelling a work in progress I've never experienced that but I have cut ties with clients over the years for being extremely picky or requesting a multitude of changes that weren't stated with the initial request. It's tough sometimes but its important to approach any issues with respect and a level head.
    Like for example if the client wants something hard to be described, asking you to "invent" somwething out of his mind but then any proposal is not what has in mind.

Generally make a point to discuss enough of the details ahead of time to avoid this, but have sometimes got pretty far into that discussion before realizing it wouldn't be viable. Typically people who A, want a lot of work done on tectonics and climate to ensure everything is scientifically plausible but B, don't want the result to actually turn out any different from what they already had in mind, rendering the whole process pointless.

I understand, yeah I've had that happen, the most important part of any commissions is to establish ground rules before anything is made. In cases like that it's fair to ask them to come back with a concrete idea and some examples of what they want their piece to look like. Having to discuss a piece can be very time consuming and that should be factored into the cost of the work as well imo.

Guild Member IllustratedPageBookDesign's Avatar

I've had to fire clients I was creating book covers for, but that hasn't happened (yet) with maps. I did have one client who need to change from one map to four maps, since she had a list of sixty something locations she wanted to fit onto a 5 by 8 inch page.

Quote Originally Posted by worldbuilding pasta View Post
    Generally make a point to discuss enough of the details ahead of time to avoid this, but have sometimes got pretty far into that discussion before realizing it wouldn't be viable. Typically people who A, want a lot of work done on tectonics and climate to ensure everything is scientifically plausible but B, don't want the result to actually turn out any different from what they already had in mind, rendering the whole process pointless.
    Haha yeh, most of all some do not get how much time it takes to make all the preliminary analysis to make such kind of world building.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast