Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Online google maps based map maker

Question Online google maps based map maker

Hello all,

Not sure if this is right place to ask this but here it goes:

Im looking for a map maker. Simple one that needs to fill these requirements:
    1. Its free. Or functions that i need it to do are free.
    2. Simple and easy to use.
    3. Online or normal software that can be accessed and shared online.
    4. With base map something like a google map but not necessarily that one
    5. Ability to add location marker on map based on GPS, to name that location add description for it and sub categorize all added locations. Also list by name would be great for all locations.
    6. Locations can be searchable.
    7. Multiple people can add changes to map as moderators and map is only visible to them or to people shared with.

I dont know if anything like this exists but if you know some mapmaker that can do all that or most of above mentioned please share with me.

Map makers that ive found online so far including googlemaps are not sufficient enough. THey have limitations and mostly you can only add locations based on name allready put in google maps not a new location based on GPS.

Thanks

It might help if you tell us what your project is. Because though you say that you have investigated GoogleMaps, from your description above it seems like GoogleMaps would do most of what you want. I don't think it does "sub-categorizing."

Some friends and I use GoogleMaps to plan for long, logistically-challenging hikes. If you have a Google account you can go to Menu >> Your Places >> Maps (which as of a few updates ago is actually annoyingly difficult to find) and designate and name routes, areas, and points. Then identify other email addresses that are allowed to view or edit the map. I delete them after I use them or I'd show you one. Admittedly, the user interface is cumbersome.
    Last edited by acrosome; 12-20-2017 at 09:53 AM.
    My decade-long worldbuilding project: https://cartographersguild.com/showt...=25569&page=10

Maybe OpenStreetMap can do custom map, I never tried.

Quote Originally Posted by acrosome View Post
    It might help if you tell us what your project is. Because though you say that you have investigated GoogleMaps, from your description above it seems like GoogleMaps would do most of what you want. I don't think it does "sub-categorizing."
    Well project is still just an idea. It needs a lot of work to make it a project. Basically list of little known archaeological sites with name and small description to each, sub categorized in different periods (maybe with different marker color) and sub categorized in diffrent types of arch. sites.

Well i have tried googlemaps and its not acually what im looking for. Maybe im stupid and dont know how it works but I couldnt put point marker on gps location only on town/city/village location by name. Which is useless for me. And im not sure if it has an option for other people to get involved in changing the map. Similar problems are with Google earth.
    It needs to be group project so others can get involved.

the user interface is cumbersome.
    I dont know what this word means but it sounds very dirty hahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    I will try that and get back to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    Ive looked trough the edit function but its not what im looking for.

If anyone have more suggestions please share...

Quote Originally Posted by mvojnovic View Post
    Well i have tried googlemaps and its not acually what im looking for. Maybe im stupid and dont know how it works but I couldnt put point marker on gps location only on town/city/village location by name.
    Oh, I absolutely know that it'll do that, because I've done it, though granted a few updates ago. But I'll be the first to tell you that the interface is cumbersome. Let me play around a bit.

EDIT---

Yes, go to maps.google.com and sign in to your google account. Near the search bar will be a menu icon that looks like three parallel horizontal bars- press it. Choose: Your Places >> Maps >> Create Map. There will be a search bar at the top; just type in a lat/long like "38.8 -104.7" and it will drop a marker there. You can then edit the marker's shape, color, name, and notes.

Or as you seem to prefer, the UTM format that GoogleMaps accepts is:

19 P 619237 1127540

You can add a decimal and more numbers after the northing and easting if you wish for more accuracy, but eventually that gets ridiculous.

Here's a screenshot:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	72 
Size:	132.1 KB 
ID:	102426

You might be able to organize the markers into groups by putting them in different layers, though I'm pretty sure that the free version of googlemaps has a limited number of layers. A single-digit number.
    Last edited by acrosome; 12-20-2017 at 07:09 PM.
    My decade-long worldbuilding project: https://cartographersguild.com/showt...=25569&page=10

Quote Originally Posted by acrosome View Post
    Oh, I absolutely know that it'll do that, because I've done it, though granted a few updates ago. But I'll be the first to tell you that the interface is cumbersome. Let me play around a bit.
    Ok thanks man.
    I was looking trough wrong menu there. Any way im not sure 10 layer limit would work for me. Do you know is there a limit to number of marker you can put in one layer ?
    I found out that you can add people in as well to make changes on map but im not sure is there a limit to that also.

If i dont find something better ill have to cope with this cumbersome interface

Blog Entries

We use leaflet here for out slippy / zoomy community maps. So we draw the image and upload them to the server and the zoom bit is handled by leaflet.js. We put markers down and I know that it can use GPS. Web users cant change the map tho. For that you would need a virtual table top such as MapTool. My old ViewingDale program used to do all of these things except for item 6 but its not around any more (you can find some vids on youtube tho if your interested). Map Tool did some zoom but not a lot as far as I recall. I GIS tool like QGIS would do it but not online and shared. If they are real world archeological sites then I think OpenStreetMap sounds like the best option. In theory other people can modify that content and its searchable and it has many layers and will handle the GPS coords.

Quote Originally Posted by mvojnovic View Post
    Ok thanks man.
    I was looking trough wrong menu there. Any way im not sure 10 layer limit would work for me. Do you know is there a limit to number of marker you can put in one layer ?
    I seem to recall maxing out the number of markers in a layer at some point, so there may be a limit. But, as I said, that was a few updates ago. I couldn't quote a number to you- you might have to google around a bit to get an answer.

How about making a separate map for each of your "groups"?
    Last edited by acrosome; 12-21-2017 at 09:56 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast