Page 9 of 77 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast

Thread: Ilanthar's tests & sketches

You're absolutely right, Waldronate.

I managed with the lid still attached, but it was incredibly fiddly and took several goes. I used a magazine where you suggest pieces of card, because the magazine has a certain weight about it that isn't so heavy it will bow the glass and throw the focus out again, but its heavy enough to keep the map in position so you don't have to stand there for half an hour holding it still yourself as the scanner does its thing at 600 dpi.

I did a couple of scans at 300 dpi first, but even then they didn't pick up the finer detail of the pencil lines. I think the level of detail is also related to other scanner settings like contrast and brightness. You just have to play around with them till it looks right.

My recommendation for the cardboard is purely because it's easy to cut to size for the scanner bed and you can keep it under the lid when not using it. I had originally included the phrase "and put a book on top of it", but I managed to edit that one back out again somehow. A magazine sounds like a good compromise (I don't have such things around my house, so I wouldn't think of that). Scanning is hard business, but the results can be well worth it!

Most definitely

Even if the mapper decides to deliberately blur the linework later on, at least the detail is captured if anything unfortunate should happen to the paper original

Well, it seems I can't get a proper result, even with your good counsels...
    So, I'll probably stick with the first version and go ahead (since I have other things to work on).

I'm kinda restarting my Patreon thing with a different subject (I didn't feed the previous one and it was too much text for me). This is gonna be on my Tipeee too.
    The idea this time is to do something more on maps (with less translation for me) and a kind of city guide of Argona (that I intend to rework).

I've began with the revision of the Air Port. And very quicly, I realized I needed to define all the common "air ships" and "flying mount"s and their dimensions.
    So, a flying mount sketch :
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Varjavarastar ws.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	106897
    And the base models for 2 types of air ships. I'll do proper illustrated top-down plans for those.

Name:	air ships.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	106898

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Wow. These are really nice. This makes me really start to think about my own fantasy world I am designing (or starting to design) and all the different aspects that can go into the world creation.

Nice! I like the shading on your air carrier.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Thank you both.

@ChickPea : Sketchup did the shading job .

Very impressive

I particularly like the 6 legged lizard drawings

Thanks Mouse ! I'm glad you like my Varjavarastar. Maybe I should add some color to make the rider & saddle pop more.

So... I was thinking of a blueprint style for the vessels. Here's my start on the Air Carrier. What do you think of it?

Name:	Eldoran Porteur3.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	5.72 MB 
ID:	107247

Page 9 of 77 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast