Thread: Carathrace: My first entirely computer-drawn map project

Map Carathrace: My first entirely computer-drawn map project

So, I've been working on this in this WIP thread: https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=39878

It is my first attempt to draw a map entirely on the computer. I've tried and re-tried a number of times as can be seen in above thread.
    I'm posting it here now because I've accepted this as my "final" version of this learning project, not because there aren't things that can be improved -- especially my mountains, I think -- but because I want to start taking what I've learned on this and begin working on maps more important to my writing projects. I'd still love any feedback/critique on this that could make my map work better. Overall, I am pleased with this result.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Carathrace.png 
Views:	180 
Size:	3.25 MB 
ID:	102751
    Last edited by Naen; 12-29-2017 at 01:12 AM.
    Collaborative Storytelling and Worldbuilding
    Freeform fantasy and sci-fi
    www.LostPathway.com

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Hi Naen! I missed the WIP on this one, but great to see you posting in here.

My first thoughts are really just tying to flesh out the landmass a tiny bit more. I like the parchment texture you've got going, but there still seem to be large open spaces unoccupied by anything which feels a bit strange. It's nice for maps to have room to breathe, but equally I think a little more wouldn't hurt, be it the odd tree, hill or some texture lines.

I'm not really going to critique your linework hugely, as these things largely come with practice. With your mountains, you've got a great start with their overall shapes and adding in some shading. If you have access to a graphics tablet, or something that allows pressure sensitive drawing, that can add a lot, by allowing the mountain lines to taper off into the land a bit more, but equally that's down to taste and style.

If I were you, I'd just keep doing what you're doing. I so often don't finish a piece because I lose inspiration or I'm not happy with it, but it's so much better to call it done even if you're not happy as you learn so much from each one, so it's great you already have that learning mentality! So keep up the good work and I hope to see some more maps from you!

Your map has some pretty nice features but is pretty barren. Filling the blanks is tricky and one can easily go overboard (I'm talking about me here). I guess practice makes perfect but you're off to a good start

It’s aesthetic seems like you will go with a open plains feel or a mountainous highlands, I would love to know. I would also love to see updates of this project and it’s progress.

Greg honestly covered pretty much all that I had in mind as well, so I won't bother repeating what he said. Keep at it, practice makes perfect indeed! And keep us posted, I'd love to see what you do next.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

I'm in agreement with other commentators here, the map could do with a few more points of interest in the middle to help give it some more variety. Otherwise not too shabby.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Wow, thanks so much for the response everyone. I've considered these responses and will be applying them to the next project which I hope to begin soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Hi Naen! I missed the WIP on this one, but great to see you posting in here.

My first thoughts are really just tying to flesh out the landmass a tiny bit more. I like the parchment texture you've got going, but there still seem to be large open spaces unoccupied by anything which feels a bit strange. It's nice for maps to have room to breathe, but equally I think a little more wouldn't hurt, be it the odd tree, hill or some texture lines.

I'm not really going to critique your linework hugely, as these things largely come with practice. With your mountains, you've got a great start with their overall shapes and adding in some shading. If you have access to a graphics tablet, or something that allows pressure sensitive drawing, that can add a lot, by allowing the mountain lines to taper off into the land a bit more, but equally that's down to taste and style.

If I were you, I'd just keep doing what you're doing. I so often don't finish a piece because I lose inspiration or I'm not happy with it, but it's so much better to call it done even if you're not happy as you learn so much from each one, so it's great you already have that learning mentality! So keep up the good work and I hope to see some more maps from you!
    I don't currently have an artist tablet, just a keyboard, mouse, and GIMP. Nevertheless, I'll make an attempt to see if I can get more gradual tapering.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    Your map has some pretty nice features but is pretty barren. Filling the blanks is tricky and one can easily go overboard (I'm talking about me here). I guess practice makes perfect but you're off to a good start
    Open ground is tricky indeed. I need to work on differentiating between things like desert, plains, grasslands, tundra, etc.
    Collaborative Storytelling and Worldbuilding
    Freeform fantasy and sci-fi
    www.LostPathway.com