Thread: WIP: Re-imagining a childhood map

Wip WIP: Re-imagining a childhood map

So, I've been drawing maps since I was a kid and I have a number of them preserved. I'm going to re-imagine one of these maps now and I'm starting this thread to follow my progress. I'm posting a picture (sorry it's not the best quality photograph) of the map I drew on a piece of cardboard when I was young -- maybe ca. 15 years old? It's hard to say exactly. It has spent many years in closets. The story behind this map is one I'm planning to revisit, so I want to re-work the map. My progress might be slow due to life demands coming up but I hope to spend some time on it and document the journey here.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	childhood.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	2.04 MB 
ID:	102880
    Collaborative Storytelling and Worldbuilding
    Freeform fantasy and sci-fi
    www.LostPathway.com

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Oh woaw, this is looking very interesting already! You were quite the budding cartographer at that young age. Can't wait to see what you're going to turn it into now!
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Thanks for your interest Caenwyr.

So since I posted this thread I've started a new job and gotten a mortgage approved for a house we're trying to close on. So, I've been a bit distracted. Anyway, I did get a little time tonight to work on some of the lines for this map. I've tried to stay fairly true to general original coastlines. As for rivers, I'm going to have to work out some mountains issues before I can do much more. Here's what I have so far.

Name:	Childhoodprojectcoastlines.png 
Views:	73 
Size:	2.04 MB 
ID:	104199
    www.LostPathway.com

More initial line drawing, starting to get a rough draft of main geographic features. Altering things but trying to stay close to the original. Tried to de-Mordor the southeast part of the map and create some more flow with the mountain ranges while reducing some mountains to hills.

Name:	Childhoodprojectv2.png 
Views:	35 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	104241
    www.LostPathway.com

So, I've not been doing a lot because I've been working the new job, renovating a house, etc. But here is what I have right now. Some forests starting to take shape, some more detail. This is a big map so it is taking me some considerable time. I'm trying to stick pretty close to the childhood map in shapes of things, though I have changed some concepts.

Name:	mapinprogress.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	106177
    www.LostPathway.com

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Looking good Naen!

By the way, are you using a mouse to draw those lines? You might consider getting your hands on a cheap drawing tablet, since that would allow you to taper your lines so you don't have to resort to changing the thickness halfway through a river. You can just gradually change the pressure of your pen as you go along, and your lines will automatically become thicker/thinner. Would work wonders on those mountains too.

I know purchasing a tablet for just one map sounds a bit silly, but know that there's options out there that don't break the bank: the cheapest one I could find (in a one-minute run) was just about 25$, although I'd personally recommend to go for something a little more than that. Check out this page to get an idea of what's out there. If you decide to go for it and give it a spin, I'm sure you'll wonder why you ever hesitated getting it. I for one wouldn't even want to begin drawing a map with just a mouse!

Other than that though, I really like the layout of your map, AND your linework. Keep it up!
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Default Woah!

I'm not a cartographer myself, so I can't give you any valuable information, but I always love seeing progress in this kind of thing. Go job, it's looking great so far!

Quote Originally Posted by Caenwyr View Post
    Looking good Naen!

By the way, are you using a mouse to draw those lines? You might consider getting your hands on a cheap drawing tablet, since that would allow you to taper your lines so you don't have to resort to changing the thickness halfway through a river. You can just gradually change the pressure of your pen as you go along, and your lines will automatically become thicker/thinner. Would work wonders on those mountains too.

I know purchasing a tablet for just one map sounds a bit silly, but know that there's options out there that don't break the bank: the cheapest one I could find (in a one-minute run) was just about 25$, although I'd personally recommend to go for something a little more than that. Check out this page to get an idea of what's out there. If you decide to go for it and give it a spin, I'm sure you'll wonder why you ever hesitated getting it. I for one wouldn't even want to begin drawing a map with just a mouse!

Other than that though, I really like the layout of your map, AND your linework. Keep it up!

You're absolutely right about the tablet. This is only my second map done on a computer -- before that I drew maps by hand (although I edited a hand-drawn map on the computer before). So the tablet is the next step for me. It may be some months before I have the space in my budget, but I definitely would benefit from pressure sensitive capability for the linework.
    Thanks!
    www.LostPathway.com

Continuing to develop. Still using just the mouse as I haven't had any extra cash for a drawing tablet (new baby arrival, planting an orchard, etc). Still, plunking away at this map.

Name:	inprogress.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	2.43 MB 
ID:	107446
    www.LostPathway.com