Thread: Best method to photograph/scan in large maps...

Default Best method to photograph/scan in large maps...

Hi, it's been forever since I've been here or commented on anything.

I've been spending some (far too much!) time on hand-drawing a number of maps on 18"x24" paper. I've used my Nikon camera with flash to take pics of a few of them, but it always blurs out toward the corners.

What is the best method for taking pics of maps of this size, without having to spend an unreasonable amount of money to have them scanned? Any ideas are appreciated!

Thanks,
    Eric

Blog Entries

Use a tripod and get the zoom / telephoto up on the camera and then it will have a flatter field and the corners will be sharp. Use low ISO and maybe longer exposure. Maybe best to tape the drawings to a wall and then move a long way back. Once done the image should line up better than if you took them close up because of the barrel distortion will be a lot less with telephoto. Also, better to use very even lighting and not to use flash. And if you have drawings on both sides of the paper then put a sheet of black card behind it.

I’ve always wondered this as well, it would be great to get some clarification. My photos never turn out how I wish

Thanks! I'll try that, just gotta find mah dang tripod!

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Use a tripod and get the zoom / telephoto up on the camera and then it will have a flatter field and the corners will be sharp. Use low ISO and maybe longer exposure. Maybe best to tape the drawings to a wall and then move a long way back. Once done the image should line up better than if you took them close up because of the barrel distortion will be a lot less with telephoto. Also, better to use very even lighting and not to use flash. And if you have drawings on both sides of the paper then put a sheet of black card behind it.
    Brilliant! Just did a test, and it went off swimmingly!

I usually scan my maps piece by piece with my standard small A4 scanner. Then I merge the images together with photomerge tool of Photoshop.
    It is a good and quick alternative if you use traditional media and work on big sheets of paper like me