Map The old bridge of Mostar

Here's my entry for the december 2017 Challenge

You can find the WIP here

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mostar Composition 08.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	8.56 MB 
ID:	103003

I started the project with Sketchup, to model the bridge and surrounding houses. I had some hard times with the scale of the landscape and the scale of the Sketchup project, so the river had to be wider than expected. The result was that the mountains were too small but they were out of the picture anyway. I made more buildings than I needed, just in case their shadows would interfer in my picture. Then I switched on PS to draw the different elements. I spend about three days for the inking, trying to draw as much details as possible. It was hard because a destroyed house required a lot more work. I referred a lot to pictures and videos of the bridge and houses in the area around the day of its destuction, but even so, my drawing is far from the real scene, especialy concerning the destructions. I tried to respect the season and lighting of that day of november : all the colors tends to grey and shadows are not strong. So the relief is not "popping" out of the picture. Finally I draw the picture of the reconstructed bridge, fellowing another view of my Sketchup project. I tried to make the colors more saturated and the surrounding bushes more green, as it happened in summer.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Very interesting project, JO. I actually remember the inauguration of the repaired bridge from the news all those years ago. You managed to capture it very well!
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

An excellent idea and a great map, -Jo- !
    I really love the composition and the view of the reconstructed bridge.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caenwyr View Post
    Very interesting project, JO. I actually remember the inauguration of the repaired bridge from the news all those years ago. You managed to capture it very well!
    Thanks ! Actually I looked a lot of photos from the inauguration... They reconstructed the bridge AND all the houses around... I guess that was quite a project. And according to what I've seen, there is still a large building near the bridge that looks destroyed, just outer walls remains...

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    An excellent idea and a great map, -Jo- !
    I really love the composition and the view of the reconstructed bridge.
    Thanks a lot ! Coming from you that means a lot !