Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Map for speculative fiction novel

Post Map for speculative fiction novel

Hi,

I’m self-publishing a sci-fi book by July this year (entitled ‘The 8th Emotion’), and I need two maps for it. I have a maximum budget of Ł220, and could pay via Paypal.

The first map would be of the setting for the story; the second map would be almost identical to this, and would just need a few details altering, to reflect a significant change that happens two-thirds of the way into the story.

(If you’re interested, you can learn a lot more about the novel here - it’s already been fully backed on Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...he-8th-emotion)

The maps are required for a B-format paperback (i.e. 198x129mm), so would need to be whatever dimensions and quality are appropriate for a full-size, single-page image in that (or, the maps could be two-pages wide if you think that would be better for any reason. However, I worry that then part of the map would be lost in the paperback’s fold).

Here’s a brief breakdown of what the map would depict:

- It would be a close-up of a coast which is on Earth (it's actually the coast of Lebanon, although the story is set in the far future, so the reader never knows this).
    - A gigantic, wavy, vaguely circular wall sections off part of this coast, and this is the focus of our attention.
    - Inside the wall is a civilisation with various tribes scattered around it (eg the Teachers Tribe), and with many of the buildings - pretty much all bungalows - covered in greenery of “vertical gardens”. These tribes have to be named on the map.
    - A large river bisects this society.
    - We only have to see a glimpse of the wilderness beyond the wall.

Attached are close-ups of my own poorly drawn - but pretty detailed - version of the map. Yours would have to replicate pretty precisely the contents of this one.

I would need the maps done in black-and-white. The first five or so maps in this portfolio might give you an idea of the sort of style I’m looking for:

http://www.maxsmaps.com/fantasy-maps-black-and-white

However, I’d be open to whatever style you think would be best. The more fun you have, the better, I imagine.

I wouldn’t need exclusive usage rights of the map, but I would want the permanent commercial right to print it in my novel, in this and any future editions. If the map was used for any other material e.g. promotional stuff - and I don’t envisage that happening - then I would always ask you first, and nothing would be done until we had reached an agreement, especially if there was any profit involved.(I don’t know the legal side of these things very well, so let me know if that doesn’t cover everything.)

NOTE: This project would need to be completed the 1st March 2018.

If you’re interested, or have any questions, please contact me at:

joshua.spiller--at--gmail.com
    (remove the -- and convert "at" to @)

Thanks for your time, and I hope to hear from you soon,

Joshua Spiller
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	453BA881-2399-4560-A58B-01CC1F0015DC.jpeg 
Views:	91 
Size:	2.17 MB 
ID:	103116   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	77B40075-9BDF-40F2-A96C-5BB63A016277.jpeg 
Views:	61 
Size:	474.9 KB 
ID:	103117   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9C9EC58F-59FA-4035-BEC1-E6FCDBF7E881.jpeg 
Views:	77 
Size:	475.3 KB 
ID:	103118   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	91CF801E-A59D-4F3A-A864-54B70BF21657.jpeg 
Views:	56 
Size:	514.9 KB 
ID:	103119   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4290FFD8-A0E9-4B83-B06C-5D8500BC2D93.jpeg 
Views:	71 
Size:	441.4 KB 
ID:	103120  

Last edited by Joshobi1; 01-08-2018 at 05:05 AM.

Hello, I make more modern styled atlas and google type maps, I could help you with your project.
    Examples of my work are here: https://kakamaboy.deviantart.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonarts View Post
    Hello, I make more modern styled atlas and google type maps, I could help you with your project.
    Examples of my work are here: https://kakamaboy.deviantart.com/
    Good to hear from you, Dragonarts! Unfortunately, I can’t see any images in your link that quite fit the style I’m looking for. But let me know if you think I’ve missed anything - just email the address in my advert.

Best,

Josh

Hi Joshua,

I can understand that your ressources are limited but the large amount of detail you are asking for for what seems like a city map (correct me if I'm wrong) doesn't correspond to the budget you're proposing, especially for commercial use.

I would be interested in this, but i am concerned same as Thomas. If those you are city maps (not region) the budget may be too smal for commercial use.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected

HI!
    Please, check my website to see what I do about maps!
    www.andreaalemanno.com

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    Hi Joshua,

I can understand that your ressources are limited but the large amount of detail you are asking for for what seems like a city map (correct me if I'm wrong) doesn't correspond to the budget you're proposing, especially for commercial use.
    Hi ThomasR,

I can understand your opinion, and the logistics of fantasy cartography are pretty new to me, so I don’t have a strong sense of what usual prices are. However, as you say, my resources are limited. I’ve put forward the maximum fee I can offer for what I need. Beyond that, it’s just a case of seeing if anyone’s interested enough in the project to do it.

From my perspective, if they are, great. If not, absolutely fair enough. I’m just using this thead to see what’s out there.

Best,

Josh

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    I would be interested in this, but i am concerned same as Thomas. If those you are city maps (not region) the budget may be too smal for commercial use.
    Hi Voolf,

I guess it is a city map, in that it’s a map of a civilisation. As I mentioned above, Ł220 is the entirety of my budget, so unfortunately there’s not much I can do about that. Thanks for your interest, though, and let me know if you have any other questions.

Best,

Josh

Quote Originally Posted by lepracauno View Post
    HI!
    Please, check my website to see what I do about maps!
    www.andreaalemanno.com
    Hi,

I like your maps, particularly the b&w Kingdom of Ormunde one. If you’d be interested in talking further about this commission, please contact me at the email address mentioned at the bottom of my advert.

Best,

Josh

I would be interested as well. I've sent you an email.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast