Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Syr (yes, again)

Default Syr (yes, again)

Bear with me, folks, bear with me... Yes, I'm still trying to get the lands of Syr mapped out. As you may remember, this is pretty much the same map as the last two. This was the starting point, of which this new one is an update, with the locations moved more to their correct places, new ones added and so forth. This was the first attempt at updating, and as stated in the thread, didn't quite capture the right feeling, so I ended up scraping it.

So long story short, this is more or less the map that I have been trying to make for the past year. It's been a difficult road. This setting is my primary worldbuilding project, my precious baby, and I wanted to get it right. While I do think the previous versions have been alright maps in their own right, they still didn't quite show the Syr I had in my mind. I doubt my perfectionism will ever let this completely slide, but for now I'm calling it done.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SYR2.2 CG 3.jpg 
Views:	584 
Size:	4.25 MB 
ID:	103295

This is the last time I submit the same map on these forums, I swear. A good way to start a new year, by putting an end to my un-beatable nemesis from last year, I'd say.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

It is actually nice to see how this map evolves. Though i prefer the second version - the mountains are creating that really nice relief, and colour is just the right match - your third attempt is really great improvement comparing to the first map. Thinner coastline is a point, Better shadow on the mountains really bring them to life. The icons are in better quality and the lighter tone of the entrire map works better imo.

Well done and i am looking forward to see next version in 2019 !
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Thanks, Voolf!

I do agree, that the second one is probably the best version by sheer quality alone. I just felt the style in the end didn't quite fit the late-iron-age-ish time period and simpleness of the Syr setting, so I was forced to set it aside. I am really itching to giving the tricks I used in there another go at some other project where the setting is less specific - I do feel that there is much potential in that style. We'll see what what I'll get to making next, now that I finally have this one finished!

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

I really love to see the evolution of this map !

First, because it's a really good map : I love the coastline, the choices you made for mountains, forests and all the stories that can be told brought by this long canal/inner sea

Then, because it shows dedication and a real work to put on paper the fantasy world you have in mind !

And I must say, it pays !

I think I understand your choice for mountains : you want to make a map that people of this world would have hold in their hands, so the choice of "figurative" mountains (oppositon of "natural") is definitively the best !
    The forests too are way more present (and yet, don't show too much).
    The elements you added bring a lot to the whole map : your subtle compass, which let the texture of paper shows the whole piece, instead of really "drawing it"... that's a master's move ! And the choice for icon is definitely the best too !

I admire too the presence of the texture of the parchment : you can litterally smell the old paper of this map ! Great work !

The only tiny detail I would find better in the map that looks more red, is the integration of land masses with the sea. Maybe it was the little riddles ? or the absence of the dark line that makes as a shadow ? I don't know, but it's really a matter of taste !

Anyway, thank you for sharing your map with us ! This is a really great work you did here and the whole thing is really beautiful and inspiring !

Count me in with those that love to see the same map again and again (i mean, if the creator is not satisfied with it ) in different styles...i love to see how mappers evolve and maps with them. So please, do not feel the need to stop posting updates to maps you already posted.

I do like the new version a lot. I just wish you'd give the forests more omph! ... as it is, they do fade too much into the background for my taste.
    Give me some green, come on!

Any chance you'll give us a backstory to your favorite worldbuilding project? I love to see what kind of worlds "hide" behind the maps we see here on the CG.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Its definitely a luscious map, and one I would gratefully use to navigate the world it describes, and welcome on the wall of my 'real' world study. Great work.
    "Mind is Emergent of Matter"

I kinda agree with Voolf. This third version is better than the first one, but I really liked the mountains of the second version.
    That being said, I understand the need to have a map that "fit" the setting (I'm precisely trying to do that most of the time).

And as a constant "remaker" of my own stuff, you can also add me to the list .

Thanks guys! Glad you're not sick of these yet!

More Kelleri's maps is a treat ! I was wondering if you'd like to try and make the linework seem etched in leather with a little bevel ? It'd look nice I guess.

Thanks, Thomas!

I usually tend to go for the exact opposite: my lineart consists of multiple lines, drawn individually, placed on top of each other at low opacity levels (and some of them with a soft Outer Glow in the same color) in order to create a bleed-in sort of effect. I'm hoping, at least I've never considered of the other extreme, but it does sound interesting... I'll have to give it a try at some point!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast