Thread: Local Cartographers??

Guild Novice

Question Local Cartographers??

Is there any way to search the member list
    for members in your area to contact for
    Hints and Tips, and face to face get togethers?
    Thanks,
    Benny

Not as far as I am aware, Benny.

The Guild isn't really set up that way. We all share our notes and tips right here at the Guild.

If this is what you want to do, maybe just ask people who are interested and live close enough to Orange to be part of your group to let you know they are interested

Yes, you can go to this page and at location, enter what your are looking for.
    Texas in this example: https://www.cartographersguild.com/m....php?do=search

Just keep in mind that not everyone will include their location in their profile and those who do, do not always enter all the information.

That's what I love about this place.

I learn something new every day

Get togethers would be nice.
    Unfortunately so many of us are so widely spaced around the world.

Blog Entries

We used to have a members map called "Where in the World" and you put in your coords to whatever approximation you were happy with and it put a dot on the map and you could click on the dot and get the member name. But it kinda got lost and we havent had one for many years now.

You wouldnt believe just how many member s here could not enter correct lat long coords. So many people living in the atlantic or pacific seas...

I think its a good idea to at least set your country esp if english is not your first language. I would moderate some of my vocabulary if I knew the other person would struggle with it.

I would love to take a part in something like Comic-Con for every kind of cartographers (those who do real maps, those who draw fantasy and sci-fi as pro atrist and those who casually draw maps now and then). That would be really cool to wander around different booths, talk about maps, techniques, do some cool challanges... and of course meet with the people that stand behind those gorgeous maps.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Nice info, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    I would love to take a part in something like Comic-Con for every kind of cartographers (those who do real maps, those who draw fantasy and sci-fi as pro atrist and those who casually draw maps now and then). That would be really cool to wander around different booths, talk about maps, techniques, do some cool challanges... and of course meet with the people that stand behind those gorgeous maps.
    That sparks an idea! For Cons that happen where maps play a part -- say GenCon or Gary Con, D&D, gaming or even scifi/fantasy novel conventions -- We could set a meet-up. The Cons give us a chance to talk with the creators of the worlds, and if lucky, the map maker for the game/book/campaign. Maybe make a mini map challenge for those getting together to share in person. Or gather copies of the maps presented at the Con to discuss. Maybe an attendee is good at X techniques, have a share session for those us wanting a pov from that person. Etc etc. Oh, and a party.